Skip to main content

This is a question for Coachb25. I observed your team from Edwardsville in 1998 and noticied that almost all your hitters had similar form and approach when at bat. To say that team was one of the best to ever play for a state championship would be an understatement. Did you instruct every hitter on the team to have a similar approach to their stance and mental read of the pitch? It appeared that they were compact, quick swings. Somehow I do not believe many went to private instructors, but did they? What was coach Pile's imput on this phase of the game. Those young men came to Play! Thanks.
Hey Clutch, next time it is at the bottom I think that I will bring it back up to the top. Sometime this thread seems like just a big add for Steve, but he has never asked me to post here or asked me to tell people how good he is. This is totally unsolicited . Steve Hayward is more than just a great hitting instructor, HE CARES and I mean he cares. Steve has come out to numerous games of mine to watch me hit in game situations. I really don't have the money to see Steve as much as I would like, but when I call he always makes time in his very busy schedule to see me. Thanks Steve.
One thing all good coaches have in common is passion for what they are doing, doing it because they love it and not just to make a few bucks. Sounds like there is a lesson in there....there is and for all you HS & College kids who are in a position to make your own decisions about your future, pick something you love or at least like doing. You will be better at it and it beats the rat race.
I would imagine Hayward is good because I read on this website that he is. But with so many people singing his praises, isn't it tough for him to instruct so many kids on a regular basis? It sounds like a scheduling nightmare.
Or does he only work with kids who are already good?
Can it be true that Hayward is the only top hitting instructor in all of the Chicago area?
Or all of Illinois?
Last edited by Mr. Clutch Cargo
quote:
Originally posted by dirt bag:
This is a question for Coachb25. I observed your team from Edwardsville in 1998 and noticied that almost all your hitters had similar form and approach when at bat. To say that team was one of the best to ever play for a state championship would be an understatement. Did you instruct every hitter on the team to have a similar approach to their stance and mental read of the pitch? It appeared that they were compact, quick swings. Somehow I do not believe many went to private instructors, but did they? What was coach Pile's imput on this phase of the game. Those young men came to Play! Thanks.

Dirt Bag, Sorry this had taken so long to respond. Yes, we used the same approach for all of those kids and no, none of them went to private lessons. We started a system of camps and instruction with these young men at a very early age. By the time that they were seniors in high school, I had known/coached all of them most of their lives. We are attempting to now do the same thing at Triad. As I've posted before, we have a belief in hitting that we entitle, "Qualities of an outstanding hitter." We've asked some posters such as swingbuster to look at those qualities and cirtique them and we've added or changed some basics but the base is still there. We teach the base and then we allow individaulism within that base. It isn't a cookie cutter approach but I'd bet if you have film of those kids, you'd see exactly the same stance, approach to getting ready to hit and hitting philosophy while they were up at the plate. Naturally, the kids had to buy into what we were doing and then also be athletic enough to do it.

With regards to the role of Coach Pile, he was a tremendous coach. He understood all phases of the game and he had the confidence to allow each of his assistants to fill their roles. My role was "hitting coach." Coach Waldo's role was "Pitching Coach," We ran our systems within his beliefs and system. However, you can bet that if we messed up or deviated from his beliefs, we'd know it at once. Game time was Coach Pile's personal arena. He was so very good at thinking on his feet as well as motivation. As you might know, Coach Pile's nickname is "Moto." That is short for Motivator!

One final comment on that team, yes, they came to play. They were the best of friends and still are. We are still very close to them and I am blessed that I get a chance to see many of them on a monthly basis. They go out of their ways to keep in touch and so that speaks to the quality of those kids. You can bet one thing, when practice started, the friendships ended. There were there to get after it and push each other. Then, when the practice ended, they were back to being close friends. I've only coached 2 other teams as focused as that team. One made it to the supersectionals here at Triad and one won a state title in Edwardsville in 1990.
He will find a way to get people in.I have seen him work with all different talent.He has even made time to let my 7 year old hit.during the hs baseball season he will come in and work with the kids during the day.He will also give lessons at 10:00 PM.If you want to work with the best you will find away to work with steve.The only problem with steve he is a sox fan.
That's not a problem -- that's just an additional reason why he's the best hitting instructor in the Chicago metro or Northwest Indiana! We travel from the Hoosier state (about an hour away) and, in addition to my son always having a great lesson, we are entertained with dialogue about the joys (and trials) of being a White Sox fan. We also are able to enjoy his gallery of photos -- I feel like I'm on Main Street in Cooperstown just by walking into Strikes where Steve Hayward does his thing.
There are so many good hitting Instructor's out there, let me try and name a few, Jack Perconte in Naperville, great instructor and person, some one I look up to!!,Jim Donovan at Strikes was one of the best ever highschool hitters I have ever seen.Chris Hall does a great job. Shaun Sanderson out of Top Tier, Joe Rodeghero out of New lenox work's at baseball USA?, Mark Hayward Ball Yard, Pat Whealy teaches the hitter's to go up there swinging!,Todd Fine Full Package, The Duck Horn's at Ducky world, Scott Legan from Strikes, Bill and Brandon Sing from Joliet do a great job! Bruce Morgan from Strikes, Coach Hands from Indiana, Coach Bello is very good, Heard head Coach Milano from Naz, give a great talk on hitting,Scott Nelson is not only one of the best pitching instructor's,he sure can teach hitting! There are just a few of some very fine instructor's in Illinois. Sorry that I left some good names out. I have been lucky to get some great kids, No one is going to tell me that if Weston,Birkes,Fillipitch, or Powers or Bookford,or Doyle, Brewer,Sing,Anetsberber,ect worked with any of the fine instructor's listed above me that they wouldnt have had the same success! They might have had even a better year with a different instructor. Those guy's made me look good!! SO NO" MR CLUTCH CARGO", There is a LOT of great instructor's/ baseball people in Illinois!!! PS:Bill Copp is one of them.
Last edited by strikes3100
another new award fot hsbbwebies, "mr. modesty" give it up Steve, you are a star and these boys and alot more owe you a debt of gratitude and a few HR's in college too. Keep up the good work, you are a good man. i along with countless other wanna be baseball teachers owe you too. you helped my son with the mental approach to the plate this past 2 years and made him a good hitter. thanks "mr modesty" award winner
One more thing about Steve…

My son had the opportunity to work with Steve from about the age of 5 ½ and I truly believe that his love, respect, and enthusiasm for the game came from these hours with Steve. My son, contrary to popular belief, at one time, was a pretty good hitter but over the years has been relegated to the “bump”. He will tell you that working with Steve and learning the mind set of a good hitter has made him a better “thinking/adjusting” pitcher. It’s not just “stride & stop”, “hands back”, “nose to the ball”, “throw the hands” that make Steve the best. It’s hard to express, like putting your finger on mercury, but you know that “intangible” quality when you experience it, better yet you recognize it in others given the experience. I call it the “Steve factor” (SF for short). When you find it you are drawn to it. I’m not saying that Steve is the only one with this quality. However, I believe that this quality is the difference, one of the reasons, his students are soooo successful, not just as hitters but as baseball players. Bill Copp has it, Jim Donovan has it, Tom Matsie has it, Mike Palmer has it, Scott Nelson has it, Pat O’Connor has it, Buddy Swift has it, Mark Hayward has it (wonder where he got it from?) and, from reading CoachB25’s posts, CB25 has it, “INSERT NAME HERE” has it. Is this game great or what! The fact that Steve is a Chicago Whites Sox Fan is BONUS!

Sorry for the ramble. It's caffeine induced….crazy
Smokey, Dirt Bag, et. al, thanks. I've been told this past weekend that our 7th grade team placed 2nd in the state in their orgainzational state tournament and 9th in the country out of 49 teams. Our 8th grade team also placed 2nd and 14th in the nation. We have taken the same approach with them as we did the great Edwardsville teams. I hope this will translate into success for these young men later on. Regarding hitting, I liked the comment on enthusiam as it related to one of the instructors. Certainly, when selling a belief system in hitting, it helps to be enthused about what you're trying to get the young men to do. Many of the above mentioned names are familure even as far south as I am. I'd love to be able to go see some of these fine men give lessons.
Last edited by CoachB25
Being the manager of the 15U Dupage Diamondbacks and the sucess we had this season. I need to give credit to Steve Hayward for our hitting. We had about seven or eight boys go to Steve in the spring. He is very personable, the boys all thought he was great. He takes a personal interest in all the boys, you could even see him in attendance at a few of our games. Now that is some who cares. Thanks Steve
Thought that I would take this opportunity to bring this back up to the top, just for Clutch. Had a Saturday lesson at Strikes today with, you guessed it Steve Hayward. I wanted to mention the Westmont HS Sr that I hit with today. Shaun Hardy, mark that name down folks. 6'5' and strong, hits the ball very hard with a nice smooth swing. This guy will make some noise this year.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.