Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by Scooter:
Linear,

I am not embarassing myself

As I just wrote, this post is extremely embarassing to you. You just don't know it.

quote:
Example, you talk about loading and unloading your center...to me that means going back before you can go forward.

Oh my God! That is so far from the truth that at your present level of understanding you wouldn't understand the truth.

quote:
Basically, loading your body to guarantee proper rotational force from the ground up

Oh my God! The swing is NOT a ground up movement.

quote:
I dont need all the technical mumbo-jumbo you have to use to get the message across.

Yes you do.

quote:
..quit using statements that I can go read on a website..

Why? That's where I got it. Show me where I claimed ownership to this information.

quote:
Put your system in your own words.

Again, I don't own a system. I am a follower of the one guy who has advanced hitting understanding to new heights.
Last edited by Linear
And that one guy, may not have all the answers.

quote:

So you are saying that you can stand flat footed and hit the ball 400 feet with just your arms. That is interesting, I didnt know that.

I will tell you what, lets play a game... you can ask me questions about hitting and I will do the same... I will give you my explanation of your questions and you give me your explanations of my questions.

Scooter
Last edited by Scooter
Teacherman's hitting belief is based on how great hitters properly move the middle of the body......Teaching something such as this is not done by being abstract and saying, do this and this, and you got it.....

Honestly, most on this website don't even know the power source of a MLB hitter's swing......And, that's just the beginning of understanding rotation with connection and the correct use of posture.....Anyone who has a sincere interest in learning this stuff can do what Teacherman and many others, including myself, have done.....Do the research and trial and error..... noidea
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter:
And that one guy, may not have all the answers

He will be the first to tell you he doesn't have all the answers.

He'll also be the first to tell you what is being taught by 95% is junk.

On the learning ladder of 25 rungs, he's on rung 20. I'm on rung 5. You're stepping onto the first rung.
quote:

So basically, you are saying you don't have to use your legs... you can just swing flat footed. I thought we were talking hitting and not just one aspect of hitting.

Well, lets play a game, you ask me a question about hitting and if I get it wrong, you explain it to me with your technical bs.

Scooter
quote:
Originally posted by Linear:
No one spoon fed me.

And, I won't spoon feed you.

But, if you do what I did, in about 6 months you will have to say......You know, that Linear.....

Until then, let people who can carry on a decent debate, debate. Sit back and listen.

I like to listen to good debates but you dont have debates, you have blasting sessions with everyone. They cant have an opinion because when they do, it is wrong by your standards and then the blasting game starts with you instead of just saying how you would teach it, you just call them dumb and stupid. I dont follow one system, I try and learn from all systems. Oh yea, I am not a follower, I am a leader.... followers are just flunkies being used.

Scooter
Linear,

Seriously, which major league hitter best exemplifies your "swing" philosophies. I would be interested in seeing some video, to better understand you, rather than debate you.

In the past, you and I have traded barbs, but I'm willing to listen, if your willing to explain. It can be via email if you like, or you can tell me to go butt a stump.

Be good,
David
Last edited by leftydad
They all do.

Well, all the good ones.

There are really very few things they do differently.

They all swing from their center. They all load/unload in a similar fashion.

Most people are blinded by the what the hands and arms are doing and they totally miss the good stuff.

Check out their posture, their connection, the load/unload of their rotation.

Pay particular attention to their swing plane being perpendicular to their spine. Ask yourself, how do they do that on almost every swing at every pitch location.

It doesn't come from arm adjustment.

I love Bonds, Manny, Pujols. Olerud is a great example of how skill can overrule athletic ability. Ichiro loads/unloads like all of them. Arod looks different to the normal eye. But, check out his lower body.

I've got to go to work.

To be continued....
Last edited by Linear
quote:
Originally posted by itsinthegame:
Linear,

Could you at least award me rung #2 - for mercy's sake?

Big Grin

In the spirit of the new year, I'll say your first foot is soundly planted on the first rung and your second foot is off the ground reaching for the next rung. Smile

But, I have to say, TR's ladder is still hanging in his garage.
Last edited by Linear
Put four infielders in a 4 corners situation and have them throw to their left. Make them catch the ball in the center of their chest and get rid of it as quickly as possible to the next player.

Have their hips coiling and tell them to have the sense that their cheats are in the air as they release it you will see that rotational torque is a top body / lower body function and it is not ground up. They will appear to be floating as they release. There was a time I thought it was ground up but it is not.
Last edited by swingbuster
Swingbuster,

Just adding a few thoughts.

The one thing I have never agreed with about Linear's approach is the lack of emphasis placed on hand/arm/wrist strength.

It does NOT have to be excluded from the hitting equation - and does not have to interfere with rotational technique IMO.

IMO - The stronger the hands/wrists/arms - the better off you will be.
no dispute of oleruds natural ability here. if you are in the majors that long you have some athletic ability. i was just trying to save some time and more arguments - linear had already stated what he meant by skill vs. athletic ability of olerud a few pages earlier on this thread. but some big leaguers do have to work harder on mastering technique than others. what that technique or theory is for you all to argue. im just interested in application at the high school level - not physics equations.
scout

I've read that Olerud is/was a slow runner. Good heady baserunner, but slow. I've also read that his batspeed is subpar for mlb players.

I deducted his athletic ability is less than most mlb players.

Athletic ability to me means, strength, speed, explosiveness.

If I'm wrong, set me straight.

I would say he's very high on the skill list. Very skilled both defensively and offensively. Great firstbaseman. Very good swing.

I deduct his skills took him much further than most with equivalent athletic ability.
Last edited by Linear
Swing,

When someone is throwing 90-95 mph moving fastballs - or mid 80's sliders at you - or even good changes - you are going to be fooled alot IMO.

If you dont have strong hands/wrists/arms - and good hand/eye coordination - you are in big trouble.

The only exception - unfortunately - is if you are swinging a $300 aluminum rocket launcher. If that is the case - you can be weak - be fooled and still get the ball out of the infield.

BTW - Happy New Year.
Last edited by itsinthegame
quote:
I'm just guessing but you may be able to debate Miranda rights.

In your case, I probably would but you wouldn't get what they mean so I would just give you a card that had them on there and let you take it to ***** and have him translate it for you since you can't do anything by yourself. Oh, I tried to go to the website of this guru in hitting but it isn't up and running..... hmmmm makes you wonder about the fraud issue.
Swingbuster, Itsinthegame, I think we all think very much alike when it comes to hitting. Linear wants to promote load ... All good and well. I agree to a large extent. Then he wants to exclude hands and arms. Easy for him, he doesn't have that product he has to produce in the end which is a successful program. Does a typical team get one or two athletes that would naturally do as Linear (...) wants regardless of whether you discuss hands? Sure! However, you have to put 6,7,8,& 9 out there. Getting them to be productive simpy isn't that easy. Top hand and bottom hand work has to be initiated to get them repetitions of what needs to be done to shorten their swings, have a better swing path and to understand simply getting the bat to the ball. Linear, since he constantly and consistently states that he doesn't (teach) anything regarding the hands then denies the benefits of these drills.

To get off subject but to put my 2 cents in on one other issue. I've had several communications with Bluedog. While he agrees with Linear consistently (as I often do), I firmly believe he is actually in the coaching profession. I think many dispute that. As we all know, you don't have to be in the coaching profession to know more about baseball than a coach but knowing and doing are two different things and when some one is actively doing then they see our arguments from a different perspective. JMHO!
Last edited by CoachB25
Linear,

Alot to me means frequently. (Please dont ask me to define that - LOL)

Some days are better than others - based on the quality of pitching you face.

When my boys initiate discussions with me about their at bats after a game - it is usually the first thing we talk about. What were they looking for - and what did they get. On good days - there arent many misses. On bad days - there are several (general example: 4 at bats - 20 pitches - and at least 5 toughies).

It is very similar to my own experience playing. I guess if you are a MLB player - you dont miss as frequently - but I wouldnt know that.
Linear,

Just adding to the athletic ability discussion.

When I talk about hand/eye coordination - I take that to mean the direction and quickness at which your hand/arms/shoulders anticipate and react to what you see.

In just about any sport I can think of - if this "coordination" isnt sharp - you probably will not last long - and in certain sports - you will most likely be carried off the field on a stretcher - regardless of how fast or strong you are.
Last edited by itsinthegame
quote:
Originally posted by bbscout:
Linear, When hanging with my pals, I get into arguments about "what is an athlete"? Most of my friends think it is running speed and jumping, so they go for some football players and most of the basketball players. I go for the best baseball players, that have to hit, run, throw, field and react to 95mph fastballs.

John Olerud has everything except running speed. He is a world class hitter, fielder and thrower. He has been the best since he was a boy.His last year at Washington State was the best season in the history of D1 baseball. He hit .464 with 21 home runs, but the amazing thing was that he went 15-0 on the mound too and was named college player of the year.He went from college, straight to the Major Leagues. They did not send him to the minor leagues which happens about once every 15 years.

I just feel that John Olerud has tremendous ability and is a great athlete.

On the other hand, I had the chance to watch one of the worlds greatest athletes play 3 baseball games in the Arizona Fall League about ten years ago and if you did not know before hand that it was Michael Jordan, you would never go to the game and say, "hey, the guy in LF sure is a good athlete". He threw like a girl and the only thing he did pretty well was run, and going down the line, he was 4.3 which is just average major league speed. To put it bluntly, he was very awkward and that is about the time I started changing my thoughts on what "athletic ability" was.

I don't disagree with anything you say except your conclusion.

It definately takes a "baseball guy" to define athletic ability like you do.

What Olerud has is great skills. And his skills have outrun his athletic ability. His athletic ability, while I'm sure greater than mine, is very average, probably less than average, when comparing him to professional athletes.

BTW, I've read it, I've heard others say it, I've said it. Is it true? Is his batspeed subpar for mlb players? Or do you know?

His bat quickness has to rank with the high ones though.
Last edited by Linear
quote:
Originally posted by CoachB25:
... Does a typical team get one or two athletes that would naturally do as Linear (...) wants regardless of whether you discuss hands? Sure! However, you have to put 6,7,8,& 9 out there. Getting them to be productive simpy isn't that easy. Top hand and bottom hand work has to be initiated to get them repetitions of what needs to be done to shorten their swings, have a better swing path and to understand simply getting the bat to the ball.

Not only do I deny the benefits of top hand and bottom hand drills, you are an obstructionist, IMHO, by taking those who will be your #6, #7, #8 and #9 hitters and teach them the "benefits of the hands".

What they need MORE than anyone is an understanding of the center, carrying it forward, loading and unloading. AND, it is much easier to teach with a much quicker "learn time" than any and all the hand drills you teach.

It is a fact, plain and simple, whether you or any other 1st rungers agree, that the only map to better swing quickness comes from the center. NOT THE HANDS. And better swing quickness is the "fix" for #6, #7, #8 and #9.

Go ahead, build your hand strength. I've never said strong hands don't help. I did say strong hands have nothing to do with the execution of a high level swing against high level pitching.
Last edited by Linear
Link copied to your clipboard.