Skip to main content

BBSCOUT

Great Ruth clip..thanks very much.

again...hitch or movement for purpose?

Watch him flip the bat tip away from his body with his hands / forearms and then load the back scap. What does it do to his hands. It works the bottom hand under the top and gets the bat out of plane to the swing. The bat goes out of the 45 slot and back to the 45 slot. By the time the bat gets pulled back into the same path of momentum of the shoulders; the hips are ahead of the shoulders creating torque. The bottom hand locks into the rotation. IT promotes the alternate loading of the rear then the lead scap and an inside out swing. IT slows the hands (or depending on how you want to look at it) allows more time for the front foot to get down. Torque could be predicted by the the relative position tip of the rear elbow and the open from foot. Put you lead elbow that far back and stride to an open foot and tell me there is no torque in that swing.

This is an example of the "action" in a swing that promotes upper lower body synchronization.

The modern day Pujols shortened that swing but kept the essentials. He

1starts out of the 45 slot with a vertical bat

2. starts bottom hand under top

3. internally rotates elbow in set up

4 coils somewhat in the setup

5. elevates the heel and no stides with rotation

6. reduces the need for forward movement

7. Gets batspeed and quickness with the same motor action

Similarly..he uses bat plane transtion to get inside the ball, load the scaps and slow the hands to get the hips ahead a few frames. Both access torque ..one abbreviates the others key points.

It would be safe to say Pujols strikes out less. THe reason might be the reduction of stride momentum to a slight efficient shift. OBTW...agree that is not a lunge.

Pujols probably drinks less beer before his at bats too.
Last edited by swingbuster
teacherman-

you asked for "it" :
1- it

2- teacherman IS rightabout some things

but he is wrong on some points and wrong to not be aware of some key points he is therefore unable to take a position on

BBscout and buster-

The G Brett type swingis optimized to take best advantage of Ted Williams suggestion of getting more time by closing the stance and setting your contact points back. Brett,however, had to figure out how to make it workin a full swing.

As buster points out,in golf closing the stance is sometimes used to cure or avoid slicing or to draw the ball (minihook).It works by encouraging the inside out hand/clubpath smilar to "hide hands" cue inhitting. In hitting Bonds, for example has said you close your stance if you want to pull the ball.

If you close the stance, then you have to make some other adjustments.

To not close off the inside location/ to deal with the inside pitch,you have to get off the plate in the stance

Next, for good rotational swing quickness,you must make sure the weight shifts forward and the center of gravity does not fall back before contact.This principle is well known in golf and became an important part of the Lau teaching in hitting. When you close the stance, it discourages the necessary positive move and the swing is forced out too much, losing the inside start crucial to a good load.

Finally, this is a longer (swing radius) swing which creates a heavy load/resistance to rotation,so if coil and connection are not good, the torso can poop out of energy to keep the bat accelerating causing wrist roll compensation- deceleration-reacceleration.LauSr andJr may not completely understand these issues,but they certainly knew how to describe and teach this Brett type swing:

1-strongemphasis on positive move/weight shift

2-strong emphasis on stride then swing with lead arm knob pull and prevention of top hand dominace- this prevents the outsid-in rushed/interrupted swing-

3-lead arm extension and top hand release - this encourages the right ongoing connection/lead arm extension sequence to keep the swing accelerating to contact, avoiding the wrist roll compensation/deceleration/reacceleration or what Lau describes as the 2 piece swing.

If you want to emulate G Brett, follow the Lau advice.

The underlying principles of the swing are best explained in golf by Jones- BOBBY JONES ON GOLF, see for example Chap7 and Chap 9

Perhaps there is another forum for discussing how golf appplies for the few who may be interested.
Last edited by tom.guerry
BB

I still say / is the proper bat position for LHH. Ted looks 90 degree almost laying back to 110 degree in this clip. He must be getting bored like some great hitters do and came up with this bat angle to lift ball a little more for distance-lol /LHH>/one more time for the giffer> LHH /is the most accepted bat angle now.

Shep
PS(Certain others on this thread must have notebooks upon notebooks of notes on hitting-Any of that material been published other than Charlie LAU?)
The slash "/" is just a keyboard identifier or extra I invented accidently for use on discussion boards which represents the bat of a LHH in proper position when hands are cocked during the uncoiling of the rotational process.

Should never be less than 70 degrees or bat will be too flat and could be considered wrapping. Think of right arm of LHH in setup. Consider the right arm as bottom line segment of an acute angle seen here /_ You will have to close the corner of /_ to complete acute angle because keyboard won't do so. The top line segment or / should never lean farther down or below 70 degrees in LHH setup or hitter will be considered wrapping bat. IMHO and many others, as well. There are however, exceptions.

It is interesting thinking about what you pointed out last night about stride not being considered lunge. The way you splained it makes perfect sense. The Babe did take a very long stride though but his picture is still by my bed every night and the last thing I look at before I close my eyes.

The one most important conclusion I have drawn many years ago is that every hitter has his own distinct style and approach as a hitter and each individual will have a different unique evaluation. Prognosis will be different for every hitter. Some better than others. LOL

Shep
Last edited by Shepster
While reading back through this very informative thread, noticed a post I found very interesting which compared this thread to a coach's encyclopedia on hitting. Would have to agree in a positive way from emails and response thereof-lol

The funniest thing I have seen in this thread, which there are many, was one of our beloved contributers begging for forgiveness while removing info ITS had requested to be removed.
Sounded like James Earl Jones in Field of Dreams

its-

done.

bad show.

just couldn't resist.

Will try to turn over a new leaf.

Hilarious-LOL rotlaugh

No pun, Just Fun
Shep
Last edited by Shepster
I don't go there... booted once for no reason..won't visit again.....

there are plenty of people more than willing to tell me how ****** hits.

Scott( ssarge) had a nice post confirming scap loading and what happens to the bat barrel plane. At least he got it right. That is what I was asking for almost a month.

I assumed Paul had it wrong ;maybe it was just you...that WOULD make more sense

Ssarge said
"
A hitter w/ proper upper body load WILL have a bat roughly vertical, and slanted back towards the pitcher. From the profile view, the bat is at an angle roughly parallel to the front upper arm (between shoulder and elbow). The bat is vertical - or close to it - roughly parallel to where a vertical line on the back of a football helmet would be.

I wrote"
First person that has acknowledged that in 700 post on HSBBWEB besides Tom. Were doing better already SCOTT. I feel like I just had a cold beer and a hot shower"

Good news bad news facts :

27 million people play baseball/ softball

99.99% don't know any of the internet instructors we talk about.

44, 000 people in my town and not three know or ever heard of one batting instructor.

Linear...nobody( 99.999%) really cares about the CONTENT about who said what on the internet....

Lastly,

Epstein/Mankin vs Ny-man discussions are the key to their continued success. What is good without bad, Auburn without Alabama, republicans with no democrats. Human nature is to take sides and debate.

Heck, I was beginning to get real bored without you.....

Where else can Ny-man get that much exposure free. I buy ads with money and he is on every page of Eteamz free every single day.

Do you know what an Eteamz add package cost?

THere is no such thing as bad publicity. He wrote the post with the shock factor about Steve E.. He is dumb like the proverbial FOX. Don't believe everything you read

If he just had a $29.00 CD we would make $1,000,000 in two years.....that I cannot understand.
quote:
Originally posted by swingbuster:

A hitter w/ proper upper body load WILL have a bat roughly vertical, and slanted back towards the pitcher. From the profile view, the bat is at an angle roughly parallel to the front upper arm (between shoulder and elbow). The bat is vertical - or close to it - roughly parallel to where a vertical line on the back of a football helmet would be.

I see no mention of the bottom hand working under the top hand. Do you? Maybe you should look deeper as to how that bat points toward the pitcher.

I see no mention of arm action.

I guarantee you looked, too.
Last edited by Linear
a bat roughly vertical, and slanted back towards the pitcher. From the profile view, the bat is at an angle roughly parallel to the front upper arm (between shoulder and elbow). The bat is vertical - or close to it - roughly parallel to where a vertical line on the back of a football helmet would be.

Why did you not acknowledge that even when I said it over and over...I don't think you thought it was part of the loading process.

THat was my WHOLE POINT FOR A MONTH

I see no mention of the bottom hand working under the top hand. Do you?

It happens..it is a golf cue...increases club head speed and hand release. Golf pre-dates baseball by a few years.

I see no mention of arm action.[/quote]

Semantics..elbow positional change moves arm hence arm action..

How do you define arm action???? Please answer

Besides... why must my language match ....who's.

Key point..bat barrel moves to vertical when the scaps load ...now you know it and you will help kids better...My mission is complete

"I guarantee you looked, too

Wrong twice!!
quote:

Why did you not acknowledge that even when I said it over and over...I don't think you thought it was part of the loading process.

THat was my WHOLE POINT FOR A MONTH...

Very simple. It was never the issue. The issue is how you describe the hands. It plain and simple doesn't work that way.

Bonds, my favorite, tips his bat. Pujols, another favorite, tips his bat. In fact, I posted Pujols and said I saw no arm action. Never said anything about the bat tip because it was never in question. How the bat tips is the question.

You accused me of never acknlowledging the bat tip before. I quoted myself saying of course it does/can....that it is an "advance" move, not done with the hand and it is an add on.

All that being said, many mlb hitters do not tip the bat. Therefore, it is not an absolute like you claim. It is an add on after they learn to rotate from their center. It has nothing to do with helping them load/unload their center.

A good scap load, like Pujols for example, can do the bat tip thing. It is not done with the bottom hand working under the top hand.

Tipping was never the issue.

Your analysis of how it happens is deeply flawed.
Last edited by Linear
The film with Ted W. had him laying the bat down backwards away from 90 degree rather than forward.

I contend this is simply an adjustment made by Ted to lift ball more for HR distance opposed to those numerous liners and ground balls he had been hitting in some earlier film I've had the privilage of viewing.

Forget obtuse, I just came up with that from teaching school as analogy for better understanding.

Shep
In fact, this adjustment wasn't made till after the war. Think he might off taken on some schrapnel or something? LOL

Seriously, instructors probably advised him to start laying bat back a little like an instructor asked me to do when I had drilled the wall about 10 times in one week-sad but true.

Missed that many more HRs that year that could have been very interesting in larger scheme. Guess thats why so interested. Wouldn't want anybody else to "not" obtain maximum results from power and distance.

Shep
Last edited by Shepster
quote:
You're awfully critical of N Y M A N S....

Not so .......your confusing me with one of several hundreds others that did however. NO point leaving a lob shot chest high at the net Linear without ducking.

I might send you a clip of a good player( 18) that is working to improve. Maybe you can help out>

Epstein told me when your talking swing mechanics never swing a bat or all they see is your swing and never hear the message. **** either learned that the hard way or maybe the truth is it doesn't matter for the people that read his stuff.

**** might do it differently looking back. In his defense; when you get 50 your swing might be pretty good but I guarantee with your loss of flexability you will look like your picture on your drivers license. Remember the older Arnold Palmer...still shooting par but it looked different
Swingbuster

I, personally, have a problem with the comparison of a golf swing to a baseball swing

I find the two similar in some fashion but totally different in many others

Lets see if I can explain myself without physics/scvientific terms and claymation models

01-- a golf swing does not involve the body motion that a baseball swing does

02-- in golf you are swinging at a stationary ball at your feet while in baseball you are swinging at a moving ball somewhere around waist high--thus for me the plane of the swing is totally distinct to each swing.

03-- the rhythm of the baseball swing is totally different than in golf--in baseball you need to react to the pitch with the body taking it cue from the brain/eye mechanism-- not so in golf

Just a few thoughts from an old baseball guy here and to cite a statement from Joe Torre who is a golf fanantic " How come I can't break 100 in golf and I could hit .300 in baseball?"-- Two totally differenty actions and I include Brain/eye connection in the term body
quote:
quote:
You're awfully critical of N Y M A N S....

Not so .......your confusing me with one of several hundreds others that did however.

"ted ...your killin me man...LOL LOL LOL"

Your words in response to Ted who criticized *****. In the context of the discussion it was very clear that you agreed with him and enjoyed his point.

Dishonest again buster?

quote:
Epstein told me when your talking swing mechanics never swing a bat or all they see is your swing and never hear the message.

A better explanation comes from Epsteins tag line only slightly different.

"Maybe his swing doesn't match what he teaches"

And if the can duplicate what they see, why not show em?
Last edited by Linear
quote:
Dishonest again buster?

I was laughing at a discriptive set of terms written by someone else because it was funny... no crime in that . Show me the post where I critcized his swing or lose the point.

tick, tick tick....

Game, set, match again.....

Your just a spoon stirring **** all the time.

Who made you you the internet judge, jury, psychic, lawyer , and police, knowing everyone's intent, cryptic thoughts anyway....

Show me where I wrote that Paul had a bad swing......waiting..be accurate please .

Maybe you should slap Ted's wrist

no intellectual integrity at all!!!!!!!!!
Well if you think it was bad manners why do you keep promoting and republishing the idea.. Your a big help to the man.

Go to the battle field and keep shooting the wounded.

You trying to help him or hurt him? Or maybe your one of the plants to him keep his name out there. Business is business but I don't have any of those.

Why did Paul's lead story that he wrote and published on the internet ( that Shawn introduced to us) have such controvery?

Your saying it was not to draw attention to himself? If you believe that your not weaned yet. Heck of a way to keep a low profile...just staying at home minding his own business huh?

What do you get for each DVD sold Linear being a plant and promote guy? I hope he makes millions if that is his goal. Makes NO difference to me. What is your motivation or manipulation...which is it?

MAybe he needs to send Tom and I a check too
quote:
Well if you think it was bad manners why do you keep promoting and republishing the idea.. Your a big help to the man.

Go to the battle field and keep shooting the wounded.

You trying to help him or hurt him? Or maybe your one of the plants to him keep his name out there. Business is business but I don't have any of those.

Why did Paul's lead story that he wrote and published on the internet ( that Shawn introduced to us) have such controvery?

Your saying it was not to draw attention to himself? If you believe that your not weaned yet. Heck of a way to keep a low profile...just staying at home minding his own business huh?

What do you get for each DVD sold Linear being a plant and promote guy? I hope he makes millions if that is his goal. Makes NO difference to me. What is your motivation or manipulation...which is it?

MAybe he needs to send Tom and I a check too

Bob & Weave. Serpentine. Change the subject.

Anything to save face when your theory can't deal with the questions.

I'm doing my best to stay on "hitting". You are doing your best to go to the traits of the messenger.

You criticized his swing by your statement. Nothing wrong with that. He is over 50. I'm just asking for your swing.....to be fair. Maybe we should all get a look at it. Then we can talk about who better demonstrates the high level swing.
Last edited by Linear
I,ve been lurking since 1999.... reading and learning about the swing...must say I have enjoyed reading the thoughts of Teacherman/Linear....Swingbuster etc. I had never heard of rotational hittng etc. Have since spent many hours studying Mankin/Epstein/Nyma* etc. All thanks to you guys... My 08 and 2012 son's have been the beneficiaries and my 2001 son is ticked that we did not have the info his brothers now have, via the internet and HSBBW. I've never felt need to post until now.... Will you guys please get back to the disecting the swing instead of each other......Thanks
Troy,

Agree with MN-Mom. These fellas occasionally lose sight of the intent of this website. They use it for their own personal battles - which is extremely selfish.

They really do need to contribute information and insight - and cut back on the gladiator stuff.

When it gets real bad - we just erase their posts - and move on. Although we would prefer not to.

Enjoy the site - It is the BEST!

penguinballoon
Last edited by itsinthegame
its....

I have learned a lot from this thread. It was a informative rush getting me primed for practice that started today.

I must share again that we start on line drive drill off a tee to the back of a batting cage. The kids tell me they "get it better than ever " with this approach.

For coaches with kids that aren't up to speed yet try this drill. It is simple and amazingly captivating for even seniors. I talked to other coaches that do it.

When you learn how to make them accomplish this goal they will have good swings.

Sorry for the departure from good posting form. I know some people have gotten food for thought though.

This site would be boring without Linear and the traffic would drop by half

Thats because half of it is his....couldn't resist applaude
Link copied to your clipboard.