Skip to main content

Just a little background I'm a junior Mif/OF located in VA I'm a little on the short end at 5'5 I'm currently throwing low to mid 70's across the diamond and high 70's from the outfield with a 60 time in the low 7s. As you can see these numbers are not that great, I have 1 Juco offer but dream of playing baseball at a decent 4 year institution. The dilemma however is my High School baseball program. We play in Division 5a Virginia we haven't had a winning season in years and unfortunately my development has taken a huge hit. As a 3 years varsity starter I've realized that I'm extremely behind the 8 ball my high school team has no weight lifting program no summer workout or off season workouts and the coaches often change my mechanics for the worse. I feel my confidence and play consistently declining. Being that no college coaches attend our games and I'm not getting better on my High School team should I forgo my senior year to continue strength training and skill development to make myself a more appealing prospect to college coaches? Other info ( I'm starting this summer on a new travel team that's one of the best in the state. I've also started strength training this year that has me making improvements on the stats stated above) My last question is being that I'm at the end of the spring season of my junior year is it to late to pick up an offer to a D2 or D3 school?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Definitely not too late for D3, D2, and even some D1s.  My son had several schools talking with him during his junior/senior summer from all levels.  As the process wore on, it really became apparent where the best fit was (academically and athletically) and he committed to a D3. (We just had a senior on our HS team commit to a D2 in the past week.)

I will say, what he found with the D1s that were talking with him was that they were pretty much rounding out their rosters at that point and it became apparent that they "liked" him, but didn't "love" him, which equated to slim/no chance of getting much playing time.

I also wouldn't throw all my eggs in the new travel team basket.  If you are really interested in getting seen you may want to consider some individual showcases.  My son went to a couple Top Gun and All Star Baseball Academy showcases (these were cheaper and were very well attended).  He got quite a bit of interest from these, and ultimately committed to a school he got in front of at one of these showcases.

In terms of development, you are at the point where you need to take it upon yourself to get better/stronger.  Don't rely on your HS coaches. 

As for your senior season, definitely don't give it up.  Take it for what it is and have fun with it.  You only get four years to do it and then it is over.  I can almost guarantee you, if you skip it you will regret it as you get older.  As you said, you don't know what the future holds for you in terms of college baseball....do you really want to pass on  what could be your last year of playing?

Play because you enjoy the game and your teammates, the rest of it is not really in your control and will eventually resolve itself.  Work Hard, Play Hard, Have Fun.

You are not too late for D2 or D3 options.  Many players "commit" to D3s during  Senior year, timing depends on admissions process of the school.  There are many D3 walk-ons that end up with playing time.

I agree with Buzzard05. My son (5'8 155) was cut his sophomore and junior year. He worked his tail off (lifting and baseball) not because of high school baseball but wanting to play college. We put together some video, and he went to specific school showcases that he was interested in. He received interest from 3 of the schools and he will be playing next year in college (D3 Muskingum). He made the varsity this year, he is having a great time because he is hanging out with his buddies for one final time. 

You are going in the right direction, joining a good summer travel team (assuming you will get decent play time and instruction) and working on strength training.  Do not allow the HS program scenario to be an excuse.  You can overcome it and still enjoy playing HS ball.  As you are discovering, you can work on strength/speed/agility on your own, including during HS season.  You can also work on skill development - find a decent instructor and then put the learning to practice when you take reps at your HS practices.   And since you are a three year starter, I would be willing to bet there is at least one coach willing to give you extra reps before or after practice.  This goes for any aspiring college player - you have to make it happen.  It won't be up to coaches, instructors or parents.  

No need to panic with timing.  Many D3's and NAIA's do a lot of recruiting senior season.  And, BTW, the JC to NAIA is a fairly common path for many.  But you need to take charge and get after it.  That said, it would be a shame if you went fully into "prepare for college ball" mode and forgot to enjoy your HS team, even if they are not very good.  College ball may or may not work out.  Even if it does, it is a different animal and a lot more work than HS ball.  Be sure to enjoy your HS experience.  Be a great teammate and be a part of making your HS program better.  I guarantee if you got several of your HS teammates on board with working out and playing additional ball outside of the HS season, you will make an impact with the HS team.  That would be something you will always be proud of.

Last edited by cabbagedad

You came to the right place.  There is a ton of information you can find by searching topics in this forum, including putting together the most effective recruiting plan.  It is different for everyone.  You have to consider what your college and career plans are outside of baseball, what you/your parents can afford, where you would go geographically, cultural fit, baseball fit, etc., etc.  Most will tell you you need to get in front of schools now.  From what I am reading, I think you need to bust your butt to make some improvements, play some summer ball, all while formulating your ideas and plans as to what schools may be a realistic fit.  Then, in 3 months or so, you can start getting in front of the right people with something to show.  And, yes, at some point, a video will be a good tool.  But it is only one of many tools you need to use in the process.

Last edited by cabbagedad

DI_,

You get one shot at this....take it.  If you decide later to walk away on your terms then do it, but don't walk away now.   You've described a situation I've heard many times before.   Nobody is going to serve it up on a platter and hand it to you.   Finding a college baseball program is hard work and it gets even harder to get playing time once you find a team.  Opportunities are out there, you just have to find them.  Get some help from your travel coach, or baseball people that you know.

Good luck!

D1__ posted:

Thanks for the opinions/advice I'm dedicated to getting stronger and improving my game but do you'll have suggestions an what I should do to show my talent to college coaches should I make a video? What showcases should I attend?

One way for folks on the site to direct you in the right place for showcasing opportunities is for you to explain what your academic accomplishments, goals, and abilities are.  Do you have a high GPA, and a good ACT Score?

What your high school doesn't offer is just an excuse. You are not behind due to your high school. You are behind due to your lack of motivation and planning. When you weren't lifting weights in a planned program you could have been doing it on your own. I don't know any college players who got there because of their high school. They got to college ball on their motivation and work ethic (along with talent). There isn't a college player who has taken more grounders or flies at high school practice than on their own time. 

College coaches don't flock to high school games. They're mostly busy coaching in the spring. You need to go to the right camps and showcases. You need to play on the right summer team. 

A friend/travel teammate of my son played in a losing 1A program. Their only chance of winning was when he pitched and went the distance. He played D1 ball from visibility from his travel team. He wouldn't have dominated 5A ball. But he would have still starred.

You need to make a business plan of where you believe you can play college ball. Then you have to plan how to get in front of the coaching staffs. It needs to be this summer and fall. 

Your size is an issue. Look for teams with several players under 6'. It's a possible indicator of how much size matters in that program. If you see a program with no one under 5'11" chances are the coach has a size bias. With your metrics you're probably a D3 prospect. A couple of years ago Tufts, a ranked D3 had a 5'2" second baseman. The kid got dirty every game. 

Get organized quickly. It's "go time" this summer. Good luck!

Last edited by RJM
D1__ posted:

Thanks for the opinions/advice I'm dedicated to getting stronger and improving my game but do you'll have suggestions an what I should do to show my talent to college coaches should I make a video? What showcases should I attend?

If you will be playing with one of the best travel teams in VA, then your coach/manager probably knows a lot about this process. I would encourage you to schedule some time with him to talk about your aspirations and get started with a plan.

IMO, the most effective way for someone in your situation to be seen by the right schools, is to first identify a set of schools yourself. Make a list of schools where you think admissions, finances and baseball are all within your reach. Once you have that list, you can get serious about getting seen. Most D3 coaches are very approachable. You can call or email them and ask them how to get in front of them. They might run a camp, or attend local tournaments, or attend PBR showcases, or they might even tell you about a local showcase that you didn't even know about. If you have a short video that shows your talent, then include that in an email. Work your list, and take good notes. Add new schools as you learn more, and remove schools that aren't a good fit.

The link below lists all NCAA baseball programs, and it can be sorted by division and state. Good luck and keep us posted.

D1 - by all means you should not forgo your senior year of baseball.  If you skip it you will always be saying to yourself "what if". 

You are probably a good candidate for a D2 or D3 school.  You need to put together a list of prospective schools and get to a showcase this summer and fall to display your skills.  College coaches seldom come to HS games and if they do it is to observe a prospect they already have on their radar.

JuCo is certainly a good alternative.  My son played two years of JuCo before getting a nice scholarship from a D2 university.  JuCo ball can be just as competitive as D1.  FWIW - some of the starters at the D2 university my son played for were of small stature (less than 6'), but they did have the skills to play at that level.

Good luck!

At least you have started seeking help. Get to work. Your school is not stifling you , it just isnt motivating you. Hit the summer showcases. Stay on your grind as far as work you need to get better. Including weights and speed training. Work , work, work, and more work. Not too late for anything yet. This is a big summer for you. The door to your dream is still very much open. But it wont stay open forever. 

Good luck.....

I think one of the main things to be considered here is how decisions are made. You cannot give the decision makers more reasons not to like you.  

All your positive traits are weighed against your negative traits...........if you are a great fielder, but are shorter, slower and lesser than average arm strength don't add "didn't play senior year".....

My point is simply this.  Lots of people get disgruntled about their HS programs.  And lots of people get disgruntled with their collegiate programs too, for that matter.

If you identify yourself as someone who quit because you were disgruntled, no one is going to care about your reasons or whether you had some sort of justification.  If you quit, you label yourself as someone who might become disgruntled on the collegiate team, too, if things don't go your way.  And with all sorts of other players competing with you for college roster spots, you would put yourself to the end of the line vis a vis those guys.  In fact, you may not be in the line at all.

The expectation is that you will persevere through whatever obstacles may lie in your path.

I would also caution you that college ball is much harder and much more demanding than HS ball, and your college coaches are likely to be more overbearing than your HS coaches, not less.  Many, many young players who dream for years of continuing on to college ball end up finding out when they get there that they don't like the experience at all.  So, perhaps this isn't really for you?

In either event, my suggestion would be that you persevere and even look for ways to enjoy playing baseball in any form available while you still can.  The day will come soon enough when there is nowhere to play, and that day may well come much sooner than you think.

To answer the original question, "Should I forgo my senior baseball season", only if you hate baseball and yourself. No right minded, free willed baseball player would consider this. Now, I know under certain circumstances perhaps, yes. Under your circumstances, NO. Does not sound as if you hate the game. Not to make light of hating yourself because that is a serious issue in and of itself, but many here will promise you that eventually, not playing when you could, will never sit well with you when your playing days are over. Think about how fortunate you are to have a functioning, athletic body. How many kids are out there that don't? How many baseball playing days have been taken away from kids who have developed a life threatening condition? I would encourage my son to play his senior year under your same circumstances to honor all those who don't have the opportunity to make the choice.

No, I get it. I really do, but find a way, some motivation to contribute to your high school. You have no idea where you're going or where you'll end up. I light bulb may go off during your college playing days. A coach may inspire you to coach. Maybe you end up coaching. Use your current experience to make a better future you. Keep playing in every game that you can, practice, work whenever you can. The most important thing to remember has been said in  this thread: a college coach will choose between you and another player, the red flag against you will be not playing for your high school. That coach would have to hear from you the exact circumstances and then believe your side over a fellow "coach". He's going to have reservations about that, trust us. Play man and make all of us proud.

tanndonn posted:

To answer the original question, "Should I forgo my senior baseball season", only if you hate baseball and yourself. No right minded, free willed baseball player would consider this. Now, I know under certain circumstances perhaps, yes. Under your circumstances, NO. Does not sound as if you hate the game. Not to make light of hating yourself because that is a serious issue in and of itself, but many here will promise you that eventually, not playing when you could, will never sit well with you when your playing days are over. Think about how fortunate you are to have a functioning, athletic body. How many kids are out there that don't? How many baseball playing days have been taken away from kids who have developed a life threatening condition? I would encourage my son to play his senior year under your same circumstances to honor all those who don't have the opportunity to make the choice.

I feel like your taking my post out of context the point I'm getting out is should I forgo my senior in order to prolong my careeer at the next level and you comment about those who can't play the game and hating yourself the fact is I do have a life threatening condition I deal with T1 Diabetes everyday and I'd like to play for a long time but I just wanted to know whether playing high school is my best option in regards to getting to the next level

D1__ posted:

I feel like some of you'll aren't fully understand my intentions I'm not saying I want to quit because I don't like everything that's going on I was asking should I sit out my senior year to work on development and make myself a better prospect and would college coaches look down on my decision to do so?

Do both - develop and play for the hs team.  Neither activity precludes the other.  Neither diminishes the other.  Be a "no red flag" guy who works harder than anyone else and all this other stuff will work itself out.   

We get it. There are people responding who have coached baseball in high school and high school age travel. Trust colleges coaches will have an even dimmer view of not playing. If you think you're dealing with stuff now, wait until you get to college ball. 

A high school coach is making some extra pocket change by coaching. Hopefully he loves coaching. For a college coach it's his profession. It's how he pays the mortgage and feeds his family. There won't be any warm and fuzzy. If you can't hack adversity get out of the way for the next player. Nothing is more "next man up" than college sports.

Last edited by RJM

I think you need to play your senior season AND continue to work on development.  Those aren't mutually exclusive activities.  Even if you feel your HS coaches are not supportive of your development, or not helping you develop, you can try to focus on one thing every practice to get better at.  Maybe it is working on baserunning, taking better routes to fly balls, ball exchange out of your glove, etc.  There are things you can work on yourself that don't really need the involvement of your coaches.

I got the impression from your original post that you feel a little behind the curve when it comes to your development.  If that is the case, it just means you need to work a little harder outside of practice on your own.  If you don't already have one, get one of those portable sock nets (not that expensive) and a good tee and do tee work at home if you have the space....or go to your HS cage after hours and put in work.  If you have time, maybe get some lessons (hitting, pitching, speed, strength and conditioning, etc.). 

However, don't put baseball development ahead of your academics.  Having good academics will open doors to you that baseball won't...and will open baseball doors to you that will be closed to others because of their academic standing.  Good luck and enjoy that senior season!

D1_, Yes. Your best option in regards to playing at the next level is to play senior year, high school baseball. And EVERYTHING that you need to learn and know about preparing yourself for the possibility of playing college baseball is located on this site. Many here will be available to help. The value of this site is incredible.

First Kudos to you for reaching out to this board and taking that step...it's not eacy to ask for advice and even tougher to hear criticism...so good for you for taking that step.

As a travel coach that has been fortunate enough to assist several players in their college decision making process and helping them get into the right college situation...I believe it would be a complete disaster to forgo your senior high school baseball season if you have any hope or desire to play in college.  If you do receive interest from playing on one of the better travel teams this summer, the interested schools are going to track you through the spring.  What are they to think if you aren't on a roster?  If you don't have any offers after this summer then you will need to keep following up with coaches and try to get them out to see you next spring.  There is nothing to be gained from skipping your senior season.  If you want it bad enough find the time to continue to develop on your own while at the same time playing on your high school team. 

You stated "We play in Division 5a Virginia we haven't had a winning season in years and unfortunately my development has taken a huge hit. As a 3 years varsity starter I've realized that I'm extremely behind the 8 ball my high school team has no weight lifting program no summer workout or off season workouts and the coaches often change my mechanics for the worse." 

Colleges don't recruit teams...they recruit players.  So the fact that you have been a 3 year starter and been fortunate enough to play against good competition has helped you, not hindered your development.  I know a ton of guys that wish they could have been in your position.  Sure a great high school coach with a great program could have helped you more but you've also been very fortunate to get to play varsity for three years.   It's on you to develop a plan to get to where you want to be.  There are a lot of good D3 programs in Virginia.  Reach out to their coaches and ask how you can get in front of them.  Get their feedback.  Good luck this summer...your showcase program should be able to help you decide where your skills are aligned for the next level.  Make sure that YOU reach out to the colleges where you are playing this summer that are in line with your abilities.  Let them know your schedule for the weekend, send them a short video if you have it.  You will start getting more and more feedback.  Look at attending one of the really good showcases in Virginia where multiple colleges attend.  If you want to p/m I can give you a good option that I got in my inbox this morning.

But again, to answer your basic question.  Heck no do not skip your senior year for many reasons!!!

1. Play your senior year. This is a red flag to colleges if you don't.   Colleges expect you to have the time to train with them, play with the team, workout on your own and handle multiple college courses.  They will not accept the excuse that you didn't play with your high school team for 10 hours a week so you could train on your own.

2. While you are playing you can still train on your own and yes you should do that.  (Gym membership, weight room at school, or if neither of those fit there are many inexpensive ways to train.  I know of a boy who bought a dumb bell set at a garage sale and he tapes them around himself while he runs uphill in his neighborhood.  He also rigged a shirt to hold them to his back while he does crunches.  There are ways you can work out, and gain strength and speed, google it.)

3. Which do you want more, the college experience at a 4 year college or to continue to play baseball, you may have to choose. (You do know that MANY colleges have an intramural baseball program so while you won't be playing for the school you can still play baseball in college right?)

4. In my OPINION if you aren't a MiLB hopeful you should prioritize what school you want based on your academic needs rather than your baseball wants.  If you are a MiLB hopeful then the JUCO route is likely your best shot to prove yourself.

5. The showcases you attend will be based on the type of school you want to go to. 

A word of caution, if your goal is to PLAY at the next level be mindful that some teams may be more attracted to your GPA than your playing skills. There are MANY programs that will take a kid like yourself to assist their overall team GPA, but you won't see the field.  

Pretty much agree with everyone that playing for your HS team is a priority. (Again, like so many paths forward in baseball, I know an outlier who played his Sr year in an outside alternate league, went to UCLA, and is now making his way up the MILB chain.) 

The rest is - and always has been - up to you. I know several handfuls of small HS players who have had very successful baseball careers at the pro, college and coaching levels. The common thread for every one was a burning desire to turn that small stature into fuel to use in getting as strong, fast, agile, athletic each could be. In other words, maximizing their strengths.

if someone were to ask you these questions: where do you see yourself in 5, 10, 15, 20, 40 years? Do you have a tentative career goal? Is it baseball? 

But even not knowing or even having a goal, shouldn't keep you from getting strong. And, HS coaches rarely can focus the time needed to boast individual skills; those guys got a lot of balls to juggle and working each kid an extra 30 min isn't feasible. Find a great coach to work on your individual skills. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.