Skip to main content

2104 is ranked in the top 250 RHP in the country, 5th in his state, and has not got an offer, threw 3 shut-outs and 2 no-hitters this season at PG and East Cobb.... 6'4 180 

Scouts show more interest than college recruiters.......  still hoping something happens...  too bad the ones making the decisions are often college team rejects that are now road dog recruiters at 25 years old.

Originally Posted by bacdorslider:

2104 is ranked in the top 250 RHP in the country, 5th in his state, and has not got an offer, threw 3 shut-outs and 2 no-hitters this season at PG and East Cobb.... 6'4 180 

Scouts show more interest than college recruiters.......  still hoping something happens...  too bad the ones making the decisions are often college team rejects that are now road dog recruiters at 25 years old.

If he is Class of 2104, that might explain things!

bacdor,

2014 RC are looking for guys that size, but he needs to be in the 90+RHP (not 82-87)for early love. 

Be careful about bad mouthing the recruiters, they all know each other and can easily find out who your son is, I did.

I once heard from a RC at a DI say that they look at the parents just as close as they kid. Could make or break the deal.

Tell 2014 to keep working hard! Good luck!

Please clarify -- is he an RHP who is in the top 250 players in the U.S.?

The way that's written, it says he's # 250 among RHP's.  Since PG rankings don't go that deep, I have to assume that's a mistake.  If they did, the 250th RHP would not necessarily be a guy everyone would want.

If pro scouts are sniffing around, he must have some good stuff.  If colleges aren't in that situation, it makes me wonder if there are problems with grades, SAT's, or behavior. 

Originally Posted by Picked Off:

bacdor,

2014 RC are looking for guys that size, but he needs to be in the 90+RHP (not 82-87)for early love. 

I have been telling him that for months. I also told him to be aware of scouts, they tend to do a number on players who do not feel that they have been shown the love, they know how to press buttons. And never never bad mouth any coach ion public, it will always comes back to haunt you.

IMO, because of the lack of redshirt opportunities, college baseball recruiting has become, "what can you do for me now".

College recruiting for 2014 is not over, in fact it isn't over until this time next year.  Opportunities still exist and will continue to do so for months to come.

For those a bit nervous, have your players contact JUCO programs, there are quite a few very good ones out there.  This might give your player an advantage to get stronger.

Catchers/position players need to be able to be flexible/diverified for different positions, most really good programs recruit on the players ability to hit the ball.   At the college level, what gets you in the game is the bat. Pop times, arm speed, etc aren't as important, as they will always find a place in the lineup for you.

A lot of great feedback! 

Realistically, the clock is ticking and the next 4-6 weeks can be critical for many 2014 grads searching for Division I opportunities.  There will be Division I options for players throughout the fall and into next spring of course but those possibilities will narrow for sure as time unfolds, simply the faster pace of today's recruiting cycle.  One Division I head coach (mid-level program, very good academics, big conference) recently told a family I know that, ideally, he wants to be finished with recruiting by November...for the 2015 class! 

Again, the next month and a half can make or break the Division I prospects for many players as coaches sharpen their pencils one last time to snag key guys; and, with so many exposure events blanketing the circuit, coaches are spread thin and that can slow down some recruiting efforts as well.  With a national scope to recruiting, even at some small schools, coaches have the pick of the litter and that puts pressure on most everyone.  With Division I rosters now capped, players who may have earned Division I opportunities in the past are now trickling down to DII and DIII programs thus elevating the talent at those levels; in fact, I've seen a more aggressive approach by some DII and DIII coaches much earlier in the process this year than in the past (at least here in the Northeast).   

Make no mistake about it, we are at the stage of the recruiting journey where many final decisions will begin to develop between now and Labor Day (yes, there will be exceptions transpiring later, always have been) and players and parents should seriously begin to tweak their thinking and refine their recruiting plans for the home stretch---no retreat, no throwing in the towel, but shaping a much different vision of the college experience (baseball is only part of that experience) and targeting time, resources, and energies to make that vision a reality.   

Let's face it, many families will have to change their expectations (perhaps sooner rather than later), read the tea leafs a bit better, and embrace more firmly a mindset that focuses on a student-athlete's education first and foremost and (here's a novel idea) pursues a college baseball opportunity which actually offers a realistic chance to contribute.  Nearly 93% of high school senior baseball players won't play at any level of college baseball after high school according to the NCAA so competing at any level of college baseball is a tremendous accomplishment!  But we have a "baseball industry" now, something that didn't exist quite as much 10-15 years ago (the old timers can help me out on this)---nothing wrong with having an industry, my sons (and countless other players) benefited enormously because of it but, like any industry, BUYER BEWARE.  The hype that the industry fuels can bring even the most successful and educated family to its knees, very easy to go down paths that should never have been explored in the first place. 

It very often comes down to talent and roster needs, getting seen by the right audience, demonstrating consistent performance, reaching out to college coaches so they know you exist (this is particularly true with small schools)---many more factors to consider of course, and some families need to look themselves in the mirror and take an inventory of where they are in the process, what the student-athlete has to offer, and then revamp the plan before it is too late. My concern is that many families, due to exhaustion, inexperience, ego, or empty wallets will abandon the recruiting  journey prematurely, or take this next phase of that journey for granted by thinking that the DII and DIII coaches will be knocking down their doors, big mistake for many players. 

I've tutored players recruited by the baseball powerhouses to the academic elites at all levels and pretty much everything in between, and I know this---if you have talent, there is a program out there for you, probably not the ACC or SEC, maybe not even Division I.  At a regional showcase camp that I attended last week, about 50 players were on hand, over a dozen college coaches, the majority Division I---talking to the showcase organizer, he said that very, very few players in attendance were Division I types, some DII players were there, much more DIII talent on hand.  Here's the problem---I don't think many of the players know the truth (many likely received camp invitations in the mail a day or two later from some of the schools at the showcase), some may not want to hear the truth, and no one seems to be telling them anything particularly constructive. I believe that many of these players can find a college baseball opportunity which truly reflects their student-athlete profiles but they have zero direction, and many will likely fall through the cracks as a result. 

One last thought...financial aid can be generous at many schools and there are other options, such as JUCO, to pursue if college costs are unbearable.  I see too many families putting so much focus on the baseball pursuit but little thought on "how are we going to pay for college?"  With schools now required to have a Net Price Calculator on their websites, families can do even more research upfront on how to afford a college education---and armed with that information alone can help many families target their recruiting efforts and college plans accordingly. 

Originally Posted by WallyL:
  But we have a "baseball industry" now, something that didn't exist quite as much 10-15 years ago (the old timers can help me out on this)---nothing wrong with having an industry, my sons (and countless other players) benefited enormously because of it but, like any industry, BUYER BEWARE.  The hype that the industry fuels can bring even the most successful and educated family to its knees, very easy to go down paths that should never have been explored in the first place. 

Great stuff, Wally. Want to be sure I understand what you mean by "baseball industry". You are referring to the camp/showcase circuit or something else

i used to use a tact that coaches hated...when players got invited to camps i asked " are you offering scholarships to that position for that grad year at your camp" very few ever said yes..money money money..but to be honest college coaches dont get paid squat for the actual job they do. I often wonder why so many change jobs so fast though..look at any bio..2 to 3 years is about all assistants stay put and lot of lateral moves 

Baseball industry...camps, showcases, travel teams, academies, specialized training, video services, recruiting services, $400 baseball bats, agents, and more.  Me too, I'm part of it.  And again, absolutely nothing wrong with that, some great, great opportunities out there (like PG) but not all opportunities are created equal.  What is your "Recruiting DNA," what makes you tick as a student-athlete?  What are all the selection factors---athletically, academically, financially, culturally, logistically, geographically, etc.---that will affect the college experience (not to mention your time, budget, and stress levels leading up to that)?  Understand these factors, scrutinize them thoroughly, prioritize what is important to you, educate yourself about the process---what works, what doesn't---manage expectations from start to finish, let your gut instincts be a guide and take the blinders off, and realize that you are up against an incredibly brutal process.  Do all that, and you can take advantage of the opportunities that are best for you (not your teammate, not your friend, maybe not even your sibling, I know) and make the industry work for you to a much larger degree.  Fail to apply the time, due diligence, and good sense, and the industry can eat you alive. 

Don't let the tail wag the dog...know who are, be honest about it, and filter everything that crosses your path---there are opportunities that can be a huge launching pad for players, other opportunities that can result in very rewarding experiences and take you places that others can only dream about, but there are traps, pitfalls, and lots of roadblocks along the way.  Other than this website, there is no Consumer Reports for the baseball industry---not too surprising, some of the "establishment" is not always fond of what I say because I tell folks that the emperor has no clothes; either be on guard or pay the price later on, it's your choice.  Wonderful stuff out there to help you develop, get exposure, and reach your potential, but a maze of misinformation, deception, and imposters exist that can sink your efforts.  Sorry for being so blunt but I've been through this process for nearly two decades, it isn't getting easier in many respects. 

Originally Posted by Green Light:
Originally Posted by Aleebaba:

Well, a few weeks go by and some kids on our team are getting visits from pro agents that say they will be top round picks, some kids are starting to make decisions on where they are going to commit, and some have received no emails or calls at all to date.  Not sure if people in the latter category are glad to be playing with the highly recruited or not, as it clearly is creating dual feelings of happiness for kid and family, but angst as to if it will ever happen for their son.  Think about it, your kid is a LHP that is effective but only throws low to mid 80s at best, or he hits well but is under 6' and does not run less than 7 in the 60.  At present all the attention goes to the 90+, 6'3"+, sub 7 guys.  What should a parent do to put kid on the radar if not one of these highly touted guys?  When do they start getting love?

I think the parent should kinda step back and let the kid deal with the situation on and off the field.

It makes perfect sense that the more talented kids are getting more attention or earlier attention than the less talented kids. How else would anyone want it and expect it to be? If this natural and logical state of affairs in sports and life is causing angst, I think it may be due to unrealistic expectations that need to be changed.

Back when the player was entering high school it might have been helpful for the parents to advise him that 90+ pitchers get taken before low 80s pitchers and sub-7 second middle infielders get taken before the over-7 second kids. But if a 2014 does not understand that today, July 25, 2013..............well maybe it is never too late.

How should less talented kids get on the radar? I would suggest (the player, not the parent) start working even harder and redoubling efforts to keep up communication with coaches/scouts.

Again Greenlight, I am just expressing feelings of so many of us parents in this situation.  I am not saying it is unfair, nor am I saying son should not be intimately involved in process.

and realize that you are up against an incredibly brutal process.

On a spectrum with Wally's take on one end and "don't worry, everything will work out fine and dandy" on the other, I am way closer to the Wally side.

Taking advice like Wally's to heart won't change the talent level of any player.......but what's the title of this thread? It sure can regulate expectations and attendant anxiety levels, I believe.

Great stuff here. Check this thread once a day. I'm having breakfast tomorrow with my son's "new" varsity head coach (first year head coach at our school but several years head at another) to try and "plan out" some type of strategy for my 2014. Thankful he wants to help and I will see what he has to say. Trying to find a fit for the "short catcher" who's just getting back from labrum repair a year ago this week.  Good luck to all.

PG rankings can be very useful as door openers.  But you still have to walk through the door yourself.

When college coaches get reliable information indicating someone is worth looking into, they tend to follow up.  That info may come from a trusted high school coach in a particular area.  Or it might come from a PG ranking and profile.

Coaches know you can't snow your way into a PG ranking. 

But if, upon coming to look into a player more deeply, they don't like what they find, then the ranking merely provided an opportunity that was squandered.  This is why a player must understand, he has to bring it every day, every play, every pitch.  Someone is watching you on the field.  And someone is looking at your grades and SAT's as well.  And someone is asking about how you behave yourself, are you a problem, are you a leader, etc.

Midlo i think you give them too much credit sometimes..i am not sure they work that hard...well not all of them.

The rankings can be misleading as i saw the list thru a paid account and a kid thought he was ranked 4th in the state..well guess what..there were about 10 kids 4th in state at that position and more than that at 5th etc etc...Rankings are good and useful to market yourself if you have a high one but most all coaches know they are very suspect and trust their eyes. But if you have a high ranking use it in all your emails to open any doors and eyes you can for sure...

The thing about squandered opportunity is true and the sad thing is if a kid looks bad for an inning a coach may never come back but if they look good they come back 2 or 3x to make sure he always looks good...they rarely come back 2-3x to see if a bad inning corrects itself...pitchers not withstanding..velocity always gets 2nd and 3rd looks 

What is your "Recruiting DNA," what makes you tick as a student-athlete?  What are all the selection factors---athletically, academically, financially, culturally, logistically, geographically, etc.---that will affect the college experience (not to mention your time, budget, and stress levels leading up to that)?  Understand these factors, scrutinize them thoroughly, prioritize what is important to you, educate yourself about the process---what works, what doesn't---manage expectations from start to finish, let your gut instincts be a guide and take the blinders off, and realize that you are up against an incredibly brutal process.  Do all that, and you can take advantage of the opportunities that are best for you.

WallyL - Great stuff.  You might want to copyright the "Recruiting DNA" brand because that is the best summary (advice) on the recruiting process I've ever read.   Sometimes we forget that (in the end), it is all about the recruit. 

Thanks for the comments!  I do strongly believe that there is opportunity out there and that everything can work out relatively fine in many instances but that can take a very concerted and informed effort from players and parents alike, plus the willingness, as hard as it may be at times, to shift gears when the time comes or to pull the trigger when opportunity knocks.  Just today, a player who I'm tutoring may have missed the boat on a legitimate Division I opportunity; he was contacted by the HC a few weeks ago after two showcase events which the HC had seen the player perform at.  The HC wanted the player to schedule a campus visit almost immediately but the player (despite my counsel to get his tail on campus before the ship sailed) declined as he had a few other exposure events on the horizon and wanted to pursue these first and not disrupt his schedule too much; he asked the HC if he could plan a visit in a few weeks, and the coach agreed (it seemed).  The player eventually scheduled the visit and, just a day before that visit, the HC contacted him to advise that two other players had just committed, and that no scholarship money was currently available---if he wished, the player could come to the school as a walk-on next year and battle for scholarship money later.  Was a scholarship offer guaranteed if the player scheduled the visit a few weeks earlier as the HC requested?  We'll never know for sure, but the ship has sailed and, unless you are truly a top recruit, you may want to seriously consider jumping on an opportunity when the door is open (even a crack). 

I would never tell a player to sign on the dotted line if he wasn't excited about an opportunity; the college-selection factors that are important, maybe vital, to him and his family should be satisfied of course, at least nominally.  But this example illustrates the uncertainty and lightning fast swiftness of the recruiting process; an opportunity here today can easily be gone tomorrow.  And, as much as you want to be loved, some coaches want to be loved too.  Again, I'm not talking about the elite prospects, they have choices, but I am talking about the rest of us mortals.  I say to players all the time "if you tell me that you have a Top Ten list of schools that you are pursuing, then you are telling me that you have ten #1 choices, and you better be prepared to get the deal done when any one of them comes calling" or risk the opportunity passing you by, maybe forever.  I'm a pretty conservative guy, not a gambler; if a family wants to roll the dice, it is up to them but there is a huge talent pool out there and they aren't making any more college baseball programs---supply and demand, and coaches are in the driver's seat for the most part, don't ever forget that.   

My son Chris had a number of offers (thanks in part to his participation at several major Perfect Game events during the first two years of his high school career) at the beginning of summer 2002 (summer just after his junior year of high school).  One of those offers, from a top program (ACC), was very substantial, and we were told, unequivocally, that he had until November to decide (and we were reminded of that again and again throughout the summer).  Come early fall however, the coach, arbitrarily and without warning, pulled the offer from under us, no recourse on our part whatsoever, and simply indicated that, due to Chris' growing MLB draft status, he couldn't afford to waste a scholarship on him (we immediately canceled an official visit to Louisiana State, and committed to Florida State that evening). If this stuff can happen to the #5 draft pick in the nation, it can happen to anyone. 

Possibly my all-time favorite recruiting "horror" story...a player I was working with a couple years ago had signed up for a regional showcase, an event that I highly recommended to him.  The showcase was on a Sunday.  On Monday, he received an email from a Division I HC indicating that the coach had seen him perform the day before, liked what he saw so far, thought the player could be a fit for his program, and invited the player to his upcoming showcase camp, the camp scheduled just before the next NCAA Quiet Period; on paper, not only did the coach sound very genuine about his interest in the player but it even seemed like he was doing the player a favor ("I really like what I see so far but I need to evaluate you again and I won't be able to after next week" or something to that effect).  Only one glaring problem...the player who had signed up, registered, and paid for that Sunday showcase NEVER ATTENDED the event, he committed to a college several days earlier and decided not to participate in the event.  He wasn't there!!!  So, what did this coach seem to do?  Get the showcase roster, send out a bunch of emails, and, very likely, most players wouldn't know any better, instant camp rosters!  The dad that this happened to said to me "Wally, you have to use this example when you are working with folks, this sums up what the recruiting process can really be like, and families better be prepared!!!"

Buckle up for the ride, it can get pretty bumpy...but, believe it or not, you can take more control of the recruiting process, and get to the finish line knowing that you did everything you could, and were likely smarter about it than many others.  The saddest words I hear from families are "Wally, why didn't anyone tell us all of about this stuff a lot sooner?" 

Don't keep us in suspense. Did Chris play at Florida State or back out of his NLI to go pro?

(Great story about the camp invite to the showcase no-show. I always suggest that players who are unsure whether these post-showcase camp invites are legit, ask whoever sent it what they liked about the performance and the biggest areas for improvement. That can usually smoke out the fakers)

Chris was the 5th pick in the MLB draft in 2003, always wanted to begin his professional career out of high school, so opted out of his NLT with the Seminoles.  He earned All-Star honors at every level of professional baseball he competed at including Triple A in 2010 but injuries in 2009 and 2010 (not career-ending but terrible timing as he was on the brink of a MLB callup each year), regime change in Kansas City in 2006, and some less-than-ideal choices (agents) we may have made as a family squashed the dreams of an MLB career.  In addition to his signing bonus, he did negotiate a generous college scholarship package, and he is now a full-time student at Villanova University and an Associate Scout witht he Philadelphia Phillies; Chris had opportunity to return to MLB-affiliated ball in 2012 having been approached as late as January of that year, but decided that, at least as an active player, the business of baseball wasn't for him any longer.  And yes, it does make me cringe when I see players in the big leagues taking PED's; I'm fairly certain that Chris was as clean as you could be as an athlete after being raised to take no shortcuts but get there through hard work, sacrifice, and production alone.  Some may thinks that was stupid, may have cost him an MLB career since he was neve willing to cross that line, but we all have are own values and must live with our conscience.  I'm just a crazy biased parent like many others, but I think he would have been a heck of an MLB role model.

I'll keep my mouth shut now. 

Chris was the 5th pick in the MLB draft in 2003, always wanted to begin his professional career out of high school, so opted out of his NLT with the Seminoles.  He earned All-Star honors at every level of professional baseball he competed at including Triple A in 2010 but injuries in 2009 and 2010 (not career-ending but terrible timing as he was on the brink of a MLB callup each year), regime change in Kansas City in 2006, and some less-than-ideal choices (agents) we may have made as a family squashed the dreams of an MLB career.  In addition to his signing bonus, he did negotiate a generous college scholarship package, and he is now a full-time student at Villanova University and an Associate Scout witht he Philadelphia Phillies; Chris had opportunity to return to MLB-affiliated ball in 2012 having been approached as late as January of that year, but decided that, at least as an active player, the business of baseball wasn't for him any longer.  And yes, it does make me cringe when I see players in the big leagues taking PED's; I'm fairly certain that Chris was as clean as you could be as an athlete after being raised to take no shortcuts but get there through hard work, sacrifice, and production alone.  Some may thinks that was stupid, may have cost him an MLB career since he was neve willing to cross that line, but we all have are own values and must live with our conscience.  I'm just a crazy biased parent like many others, but I think he would have been a heck of an MLB role model.

I'll keep my mouth shut now. 

Some of the best stuff I've ever read on this site! WallyL you have done a great job with your son Chris. I was told once, but not 100% sure its true, that in the 150 year history of MLB ball, that only 18,500 players have made it to the show. What your son accomplished is amazing!  Please keep contributing here.

Great story!

As it pertains to the specific topic at hand......and the "brutal process"...... when Chris signed with Florida State, the coach (I guess) scratched off the player who had previously been next man up on his list. Who knows if FSU had been that player's dream school. Whoever that kid was, I hope he landed on his feet. Point is, good chance he went thru a lot of disappointment as a result of nothing he did or failed to do.

And if Chris' #1 college choice had not pulled the offer because of his rising draft status, Chris probably would have signed at that school, and the next-man-up at FSU would have got his offer there.......round and round it goes.

Can make you crazy if you don't go into it knowing it is a brutal process.

For all of those that are not familiar with who WallyL is, he is the father of Chris Lubanski.

My player also was very close to the show, in 2010 he was placed on the 40 man roster, but that fall had his 3rd operation since being drafted in 2007. Not major  but enough to keep him from not being able to show off his stuff in spring training in 2011 in front of TLR and Dave Duncan, and lost his 40 man spot as the cardinals were on their way to the WS and needed spots by trade deadline.

He's been trying to get back since, and it's not easy. That's why I tell people over and over, unless you get a nice bonus that will sustain you, go to college and get your education paid for as much as possible, because you most likely will never see very much from pro ball in the way of really nice comfortable life changing $$.

I think that the big issue here is that many players set their standards too high to begin with, they never really get evaluated correctly and over shoot for the larger programs when these programs just are not a good fit for them to begin with.  Didn't we have a parent here that said they asked their son to make a "list" of the schools he would like to play for, and after contacting those schools he realized, eventually that these were not programs that would ever have any interest in his son to begin with.  He never thought that he had to "showcase" his son because he was good and got people out.

My son had a great recruiting experience with great opportunities,  he was ranked pretty high, but reality was that he learned eventually that his dream school wasn't a very good fit for him as were many top programs (ACC,SEC) that recruited him.

I am not sure that most people really understand what it is like to attend a top 10-25 program.  My son also had a  great college experience but there were times that he wanted out, he ended up being a high draft pick but still struggled at times his first few years in college.  Those were the days when there were no roster limits (though the ACC had limits) for D1, so you had a chance to grow up a bit. Now, my understanding is freshman might have to contribute asap, so there is no grow up time available and reshirts don't exist at the larger more successful programs (exception is medical waiver).

To avoid all of this get an evaluation from a reliable source early in HS and work on what you have to so you can have more opportunities when your junior year rolls around. Don't give up,  recheck and double check to make sure that you are on the right path, which is different for everyone. 

No one ever said it was easy, things still remain the same in the sense that you have to get someone's attention, and it might not (usually isn't) the guy you want to notice you the most. Don't take it personally, the above scenario with Chris is just one example of how brutal it can be.

I do remember the other OF that FSU signed that year, Shane Robinson...had a HUGE career with the Seminoles and now plays in the big leagues with the Cardinals (I think Shane was a fifth round pick out of FSU, maybe in 2006).  I was remiss not to mention that FSU was always Chris' first choice but, going through the process for the very first time a decade+ ago and knowing very little at that point, I was intent on Chris taking several official visits that fall before he made up his mind; in Chris' mind at the time, his college goal was achieved but I wanted him to "dot the i's and cross the t's" a bit more thus the other visits were scheduled---once that other college I mentioned earlier pulled the plug, we cut our "thinking time" dramatically and made the FSU call later that evening.  I remember Chris having to call the LSU recruiter to cancel his upcoming official visit and advise the coach that he had chose FSU; thinking the coach would not react very well (this particular coach had actually been following Chris for several years) to his decision, Chris was pretty nervous but the coach was very amicable commenting to Chris "I don't care who you sign with, no one is going get you anyway after the draft next year." 

And the school that pulled the offer from Chris thinking they wouldn't get him?  Well, they did go after another high school OF of course, signed him (likely a very big scholarhship) thinking that this young man would definitely go to college first despite the fact that he was a pro prospect but not likely a First Round pick ...this player got drafted in 2003 as well and turned pro out of high school, so the school ended up getting neither player!  I actually ran into the recruiter a few years later at a basebal conference, I had brought my son Mike to the event; the recruiter was not a Head Coach at another program, and he seemed a bit remorseful and apologetic, emphasized again that he "had to do what he had to do" at the time regarding Chris...and then began to recruit my son Mike!  Needless to say, we did not bite, and Mike ending up earning a baseball scholarship to Wake Forest (he had early offers from Duke, East Carolina, and North Carolina State as well). 

The Wake Forest decision  turned out to be one of the best decisions we ever made as we embraced the "focus on the education" mantra, and Mike's goal was to compete in the ACC as well; he had a strong second half in the conference as a freshman but tore his throwing shoulder at the beginning of his sophomore campaign (surgery, rehab) then injured the same shoulder days before the start of his junior year wat WFU, more surgery and more rehab!!!  By the time his senior year rolled around, Mike was at a crossroads; after much consideration, he opted to relinquish his roster spot (WFU still honored the scholarship of course), turn his full attention to his studies and the job market, graduated on-time (four years), and accepted an offer from Pepsi where he is now beginning life after baseball (he just started a softball team at Pepsi, must be in the blood!). 

Chris and Mike's exploits helped us target my youngest son Joe's college journey even sooner, and the plan that we developed for him was uniquely his, different than the older brothers; Joe was a good Division III candidate and we were focusing on several strong DIII academic programs (Swarthmore was at the top of that list) but he blossomed later in his junior year, brought it "every day, every play, every pitch" as Midlo Dad so correctly suggested is needed in this process, and generated Division I interest; he committed to Yale in June after his junior year, and now plays outfield for the Bulldogs (studying Economics, just finished a summer  internship at Penn on a Think Tank project). 

It's been a great ride for sure, some very special people to thank for their guidance along the way, but a lot of mistakes were made too, and our successes and failures have allowed me to help families even more so than I could have years ago.    

Well, things are getting more heated up both literally and recruiting wise down here in Texas.  Son is getting calls from schools not even on the radar a week ago, and we are visiting schools next week in the Northeast.  I have a couple of key incites that I read on here that I am prepared to impart to son, such as:  (1) go to school that you would have gone to even if you were not playing baseball, and (2) go where they really want you.  These coaches are really good at filling him up with information that makes them re-think (1), and I'm not sure what he is potentially hearing related to (2).  Not sure what my role is on these points other than make sure he is asking right questions and getting the answers he thinks he is getting.   

Well, things are getting more heated up both literally and recruiting wise down here in Texas.  Son is getting calls from schools not even on the radar a week ago, and we are visiting schools next week in the Northeast.  I have a couple of key incites that I read on here that I am prepared to impart to son, such as:  (1) go to school that you would have gone to even if you were not playing baseball, and (2) go where they really want you.  These coaches are really good at filling him up with information that makes them re-think (1), and I'm not sure what he is potentially hearing related to (2).  Not sure what my role is on these points other than make sure he is asking right questions and getting the answers he thinks he is getting.   

Congrats and good luck!

And if you are paying part of the bill...you get a very big vote on this.  Perhaps the deciding vote. 

Heating up in TX.  Great!  I think you have it covered, and you are underselling your value to your son.  Understandably, most kids get big eyes when they visit well known schools or meet legendary coaches.   Sometimes keeping them focused and looking at the big picture is a tough job.  You'll do great.  Good luck!

This is great news.

Don't worry about him, he will know the difference between a coach who REALLY wants and needs him and a coach who just wants him.  After he tours the campus, he also will get an idea of the other things to consider . And you are allowed your opinion in the decision, in fact when the time comes he should ask you how you all feel.

Narrowing down two schools, we did the pro and con thing, actually the school he DIDN'T choose was the one with more pros.  He just had this gut feeling.

best of luck!!!!

Anxiety is building as son waits to hear from top choices, but those colleges are waiting on other commitments as my son is not their first option.  We are blessed as son has got a few offers, but none yet from any college with combination of academic and baseball success hoped for by all interested parties.  As with most things, most likely one will have to be sacrificed, and that has created some tension in our house about the way to proceed.  In addition, those programs that have extended offers will need an answer in the next few weeks, as they are making decisions based on whether my son commits or does not.  Interesting times indeed.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.