Skip to main content

Found this free weighted baseball velocity program. What do you guys think? I will be giving it a try. It says to use 4 ounce and 6 ounce baseballs. How much of a velocity increase should be expected? Also have done the exercises with dumbbells that are included and my arm feels great. http://media.hometeamsonline.c...hrowing_Workouts.pdf

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well, I would say it's an older program with some good stuff in it.  I don't think it goes into enough detail about certain aspects though.

Since it won't cost you anything, take a look at the Driveline 8 week program that you can get from their site.  It is a little more detailed as far as a progression to follow, and has links to videos that explain the various drills.

As for a velocity increase - nobody can honestly say.  Some guys have big improvements quickly, some don't. Some take longer to improve. Some never improve for various reasons.

In a general sense, if you take a player that has never really worked out before and introduce any type of program you are bound to see some improvements.

I think the program you linked is lite on the exercises you can do to strengthen the rotator cuff, but the stretches are pretty good. I've had a torn rotator cuff, and from experience doing some stretches makes the shoulder feel a thousand times better. You can find some more exercises here... Thrower's 10 variation .

I don't know about the pro's but more and more colleges are using them. I know my son's old program has used them for years and they historically have the hardest throwers in DIII. (partially this is how they recruit) but I saw pretty dramatic improvements in their pitchers while my son was there. 

For me, the weighted baseball issue is boiled down to this: With all of the $$, research & resources available to MLB to examine the effectiveness balanced vs the risk of these programs, the vast majority have said NO to their use.

Who is the target market for these programs? Developing youth players. Developing youth players will see a spike in velocity by simply existing & aging & eating Captain Crunch cereal. Add a velo program & you can measure & see results with this group. Especially when the youth player does virtually no training.

Give me a MLB roster of pitchers who are fully developed adults who train & throw regularly as they do & add this weighted ball program & show me a spike in velocity. It won't happen. You may see a spike in injury. This is why it is not employed at the level that has the most to gain from the "effectiveness" of these programs (MLB).

Steve A. posted:

For me, the weighted baseball issue is boiled down to this: With all of the $$, research & resources available to MLB to examine the effectiveness balanced vs the risk of these programs, the vast majority have said NO to their use.

Who is the target market for these programs? Developing youth players. Developing youth players will see a spike in velocity by simply existing & aging & eating Captain Crunch cereal. Add a velo program & you can measure & see results with this group. Especially when the youth player does virtually no training.

Give me a MLB roster of pitchers who are fully developed adults who train & throw regularly as they do & add this weighted ball program & show me a spike in velocity. It won't happen. You may see a spike in injury. This is why it is not employed at the level that has the most to gain from the "effectiveness" of these programs (MLB).

Do you have any scientific evidence that Captain Crunch can aid in an increase in velocity?  I ate a whole lot a King Vitamin when I was a kid a saw zero increase.  What about Frosted Maple Bacon Pop Tarts?

2017LHPscrewball posted:
Steve A. posted:

Do you have any scientific evidence that Captain Crunch can aid in an increase in velocity?  I ate a whole lot a King Vitamin when I was a kid a saw zero increase.  What about Frosted Maple Bacon Pop Tarts?

Sorry, good point! I meant Frosted Flakes. They sponsor the LLWS & some of those kids throw gas so it must be factor.....

Okay, i'll divulge the "Secrets to getting your son to 90+mph"

PBJ, Oatmeal, Chicken Tenders, All meat covered in BBQ Sauce, waffle sandwiches (2 legos with butter) and mashed potatoes and leisure peas.

Seriously, i did consider a weighted ball program once thru an instructor near Atlanta. I talked with him and we never went down that path. I think it works and players see gains....im not sure how much is retained over time?

Last edited by Shoveit4Ks
Steve A. posted:
2017LHPscrewball posted:
Steve A. posted:

Sorry, good point! I meant Frosted Flakes. They sponsor the LLWS & some of those kids throw gas so it must be factor.....

The real secret is Cinnamon Toast Crunch, but you have to drink the cinnamon-y milk left in the bowl at the end to see the most benefit.

Regarding the other topic at hand, when you talk of arm conditioning, I would lean pretty heavily towards a long toss program.  I don't really delve into weighted ball programs so I can't speak one way or the other on the effectiveness, but believe in the effectiveness of long toss particularly in the "arm conditioning" realm.

Matt Reiland posted:
Steve A. posted:
2017LHPscrewball posted:
Steve A. posted:

The real secret is Cinnamon Toast Crunch, but you have to drink the cinnamon-y milk left in the bowl at the end to see the most benefit.

Regarding the other topic at hand, when you talk of arm conditioning, I would lean pretty heavily towards a long toss program.  I don't really delve into weighted ball programs so I can't speak one way or the other on the effectiveness, but believe in the effectiveness of long toss particularly in the "arm conditioning" realm.

Matt,

Agree but am not an advocate of the "extreme long toss" programs. What is your take?

The more folks I speak with the more skeptical I am abt weighted throwing programs _in a vacuum_.

They are usually part of a greater strength, conditioning, long-toss and overall health program. I don't think that throwing a 1 oz heavier and 1oz lighter ball by itself can necessarily help you or harm you.

Driveline is not just a "weighted ball program" per se. It's a carefully crafted strength and conditioning program for athletes who are already at a point in their lives when they are getting bigger and stronger.

If you build out a smart throwing program and include the weighted balls I'll bet it will help.
If you're not careful abt warming up, strengthening the arm and stretching, I'll bet it could cause injury.

Here is another simple one. Have fun and be careful. Your health is important!
http://www.thecompletepitcher....ighted_baseballs.htm

I know you are not supposed to promote your own business on this site, but I just came up with a foolproof idea.  For the low, low price if $199 plus S&H, you can purchase my old bucket of baseballs (approx 40) that come in various weights ranging from around 6oz (probably not regulation size) up to maybe twice that (depending on when it last got rained on).  This offer is only good to the first caller at which point I will begin putting together another bucket and make it available next year.  Have your young pitcher grab a ball and fling it - I'll think maybe I'll trademark it as the "Vari-Weight-Ball" program and make it available only to prepubescent kids and then report on velocity increase once they start shaving.

On a serious note, what it the allowed variance in official baseballs - high school, college or MLB?  A think I once read a variance of only 0.2 oz was allowed but that got me thinking about how much difference the plus/minus 1 oz makes.  When do kids take special care not to start throwing waterlogged ball that might already have that extra 1 oz.  I know my 2017 has a few baseballs that he keeps hidden from his younger brother.

Rob T posted:

Well, I would say it's an older program with some good stuff in it.  I don't think it goes into enough detail about certain aspects though.

Since it won't cost you anything, take a look at the Driveline 8 week program that you can get from their site.  It is a little more detailed as far as a progression to follow, and has links to videos that explain the various drills.

As for a velocity increase - nobody can honestly say.  Some guys have big improvements quickly, some don't. Some take longer to improve. Some never improve for various reasons.

In a general sense, if you take a player that has never really worked out before and introduce any type of program you are bound to see some improvements.

I think the program you linked is lite on the exercises you can do to strengthen the rotator cuff, but the stretches are pretty good. I've had a torn rotator cuff, and from experience doing some stretches makes the shoulder feel a thousand times better. You can find some more exercises here... Thrower's 10 variation .

Would the Driveline 8 week program work for a catcher? I am trying to improve my catching velocity.

Wesleythecacther posted:
Rob T posted:

Would the Driveline 8 week program work for a catcher? I am trying to improve my catching velocity.

In theory it should help anyone that throws a ball...  However, the Driveline program is really tailored towards pitchers - and the mechanics they use.  These aren't necessarily the same mechanics used by catchers.

While arm strength is obviously part of the equation, there is a lot more that goes into effective throwing for catchers.  Usually it isn't arm strength that is the issue, but time leaked in other areas - footwork, transfer, stance etc.

If your goal is to simply get the ball from your glove to the bag faster - you can probably achieve quicker results cleaning up your mechanics as a catcher, rather than embarking on a throwing program.

So, yes - I would say it will work to strengthen your arm to some degree- but that may not equate into the results you seek.

If you are interested in some specific throwing mechanics related to the catching position, Austin Wasserman has a pretty good e-book on it. 

Rob T posted:
Wesleythecacther posted:
Rob T posted:

In theory it should help anyone that throws a ball...  However, the Driveline program is really tailored towards pitchers - and the mechanics they use.  These aren't necessarily the same mechanics used by catchers.

While arm strength is obviously part of the equation, there is a lot more that goes into effective throwing for catchers.  Usually it isn't arm strength that is the issue, but time leaked in other areas - footwork, transfer, stance etc.

If your goal is to simply get the ball from your glove to the bag faster - you can probably achieve quicker results cleaning up your mechanics as a catcher, rather than embarking on a throwing program.

So, yes - I would say it will work to strengthen your arm to some degree- but that may not equate into the results you seek.

If you are interested in some specific throwing mechanics related to the catching position, Austin Wasserman has a pretty good e-book on it. 

I definitely think the 8 week program would help Wesley. it is not catcher specific but Wesley's arm is not that strong yet judging from the videos. It is not weak but I don't think he can throw upper 80s from a crowd hop yet. 

BTW I would definitely use Kyle's program instead of the one posted above because of the plyo care drills. 

I only ask that you consider this as a part of the overall growth program: working with an experienced physical therapist who has a track record with baseball players.

He/she can evaluate a program with you as it relates to the specific physical condition of your son. To look solely at the arm may be a mistake. More improvement may be achieved through the building and conditioning of other components in the body, e.g., loosening and building hips that are tight and weak.

And the PT should be able to evaluate the program based on the physical condition of the shoulder. Perhaps a weighted ball program is overkill, and all your son needs is a solid Throwers 10 program.

Please consider working with an experienced PT. If you find one that requires travel, it's probably worthwhile.

Steve A. posted:

This is simply wrong. I work for 5 MLB teams and seven pitchers from one team are currently in Seattle training on the team's dime. The entirety of the Cleveland Indians' minor league teams throw weighted balls; take a look at Goodyear during Spring Training if you don't believe me.

JP Hoornstra wrote about our work with the Dodgers and the results. I've worked for the Astros. You can see verified information in The Arm by Jeff Passan.

Major League pitching coach Brent Strom (and his bullpen coach, Craig Bjornson) are good friends of mine and supporters.

Basically it sounds like you've done zero research into it all before spouting off BS. Maybe consider that next time.

EDIT: By the way, the level that has the most to gain from a weighted ball program is not MLB. It would be their lower-level minor league pitchers to develop tradeable or promotable assets.

EDIT2: Our programs are heavily targeted towards late HS and college/pro arms, not youth pitchers. We train very few youth pitchers. I can't speak for our competition.

Last edited by Kyle Boddy
Kyle Boddy posted:

This is simply wrong. I work for 5 MLB teams and seven pitchers from one team are currently in Seattle training on the team's dime. The entirety of the Cleveland Indians' minor league teams throw weighted balls; take a look at Goodyear during Spring Training if you don't believe me.

JP Hoornstra wrote about our work with the Dodgers and the results. I've worked for the Astros. You can see verified information in The Arm by Jeff Passan.

Major League pitching coach Brent Strom (and his bullpen coach, Craig Bjornson) are good friends of mine and supporters.

Basically it sounds like you've done zero research into it all before spouting off BS. Maybe consider that next time.

EDIT: By the way, the level that has the most to gain from a weighted ball program is not MLB. It would be their lower-level minor league pitchers to develop tradeable or promotable assets.

EDIT2: Our programs are heavily targeted towards late HS and college/pro arms, not youth pitchers. We train very few youth pitchers. I can't speak for our competition.

What about the Tom House Velocity Plus program - http://velocityplusarmcare.com/

Nolan Ryan and some others seem to be 100% behind this guy, is there anything to it?  I'm not recommending this or anything, just asking if there is anything to it. 

Granted my son is a 12u but his team recently did a 5 week program based on House's and his velocity went up 7 mph .  The lower body worked seemed to really be the key.  I think that for young kids they are using muscles that they have never used/developed before.  Not sure about the older boys probably more about a few mph and arm care.  The program is phenomenal for arm care. I am skeptical about the weighted ball programs but just like TCB heavy balls its something you can do in tight space.     

Personally I love them to do long toss and long toss with a football as much as they can in the off season.  Something about throwing the football that really seems to help. 

Coach_TV posted:
Kyle Boddy posted:

What about the Tom House Velocity Plus program - http://velocityplusarmcare.com/

Nolan Ryan and some others seem to be 100% behind this guy, is there anything to it?  I'm not recommending this or anything, just asking if there is anything to it. 

This is clearly anecdotal.  An academy and program in my area did it for one year.  In fact they are listed on the web site.  Had a big presentation.  Lots of people showed up.  The academy teams where going to do it as well as some other players I know.  I heard there were some issues with younger kids -- personally I think they were too young for this type of program.  As far as I know, it didn't stick.  Haven't heard about it for a few years.  It could be the cost as well.  Everything is expensive these days. 

IMO, with all of these programs the reality is that you need to be physically mature enough to handle the work out and you need to have the time and resources to do it.  Many require several days of work per week.  For most kids with school, other sports and activities it just doesn't all come together. 

Kyle Boddy posted:
Steve A. posted:

Last time I checked there were 30 teams. "The vast majority have said no." Learn to read.

Steve A. posted:
Kyle Boddy posted:
Steve A. posted:

Last time I checked there were 30 teams. "The vast majority have said no." Learn to read.

In addition. This is not about "your program." Frankly I don't give a rip about you or "your programs." I'm sure you have helped some people & it looks like you have. Great for you & I wish you continued success. There are countless weighted ball velocity camps & programs all over the country now. One in my area has these kids throwing 12oz weighted balls all winter long with kids as young as 9 years old. It's insane. 3 kids from this camp have been cut on prior to reaching 19 years old.

The best weighted baseball training should consist of this single drill:

Take the weighted ball nearby to a wooded area. Throw it as far into the wooded area as you can & leave it there.

Steve A. posted:
Matt Reiland posted:

Matt,

Agree but am not an advocate of the "extreme long toss" programs. What is your take?

Varies by the individual.  Think about it in the same terms as using 95% max weights in the weight room.  There is a time and place.  Someone new to long toss that doesn't have accumulated volume at "medium-long" distances shouldn't jump in and stretch it out as far as possible right off the bat.

Similarly, the middle of the high school season is probably not the time to test out a new max back squat in the weight room.  It's probably also not the time to be stretching long toss out to the absolute max several times a week.

However, for someone in the middle of the off-season, who has been building up the distance over the course of weeks, I can see benefits in terms of arm speed, durability, and overall arm health to doing long toss at near maximal distances as a component of a strength & conditioning program. 

Weighted balls do seem to help with velocity gains.  It's not significant, unless you consider 2-4mph significant.  I'm going to have my pitchers use weighted balls again this year.  They used them sparingly last year.  However, my kids have to hit the weight room before going to weighted balls.  I need to make sure that they have a good base of strength first.  I wouldn't put a kid with no muscle tone on a weighted ball program.  

Shoveit4Ks posted:

Okay, i'll divulge the "Secrets to getting your son to 90+mph"

PBJ, Oatmeal, Chicken Tenders, All meat covered in BBQ Sauce, waffle sandwiches (2 legos with butter) and mashed potatoes and leisure peas.

Seriously, i did consider a weighted ball program once thru an instructor near Atlanta. I talked with him and we never went down that path. I think it works and players see gains....im not sure how much is retained over time?

I think that you meant eggos!

consider that kyle does not only do heavy and light balls but also Lifting, Long toss, band work and throwing very heavy balls of 1-4 pounds (like mike marshall).

the OL UL certainly does have effects but you also would have gains if you leave the OL UL away and just do the rest of kyles program. OL UL is only a part of kyles program, I don't think kyle would recommend just doing OL UL without doing the other conditioning.

Last edited by Dominik85
Dominik85 posted:

consider that kyle does not only do heavy and light balls but also Lifting, Long toss, band work and throwing very heavy balls of 1-4 pounds (like mike marshall).

the OL UL certainly does have effects but you also would have gains if you leave the OL UL away and just do the rest of kyles program. OL UL is only a part of kyles program, I don't think kyle would recommend just doing OL UL without doing the other conditioning.

2018 does a 3 day lifting program (total body with a qtr mile sprint on treadmill) and daily band work...only thing he doesn't have is the 1-4 pound plyo

Both of my sons are qb's.  They both increased their velocity between their jr and sr years by throwing the football so much during the late summer 7 on 7 and in the fall every day during practice.  I am a firm believer in the football.  Plus, during football season we also have our kids lift three days a week plus lots of leg conditioning.  I'm sure that also plays a huge part.  I get nervous every friday night about injuries but I also have seen how much tougher my kids became after every game.  Physically and mentally.  We put the baseball down in early august and don't pick it up again until the football play-offs are over.  My oldest is a left handed college pitcher/of.  My youngest is a sr c/pitcher.  

Overthehill posted:

Both of my sons are qb's.  They both increased their velocity between their jr and sr years by throwing the football so much during the late summer 7 on 7 and in the fall every day during practice.  I am a firm believer in the football.  

This can't possibly be true, because throwing objects heavier than a baseball causes your arm to get injured.

The epidemic of ucl injuries among NFL starting quarterbacks is all the evidence you need.

I starting researching this many years ago when my son started to pitch. I purchased Dr Bagonzi book probably 14 years  ago (one of the first to do weighted ball studies, he got his PhD on the subject) well before Wolforth developed his current program and have followed Wolforth and Kyle's programs from afar. Fast forward, my son's college program historically has the best pitching staffs in D3 baseball, in part because they are on the leading edge of these types of programs. (don't get me wrong they have a great pitching coach also)

I will add this to the conversation. I have always looked at how sprinters have developed, as for me at least, they have a similar problem. How to get faster and more powerful, without injury. Sprinting development is one of the most finely studied of all athletic activities and has a very long history. Their lifting and speed development is an area I think parallels throwing a baseball. Guess what? They have been doing explosive lifting and under/over weight training for 30+  years. It does not surprise me one bit that baseball throwing is starting to look very similar to sprint training. 

Last edited by BOF

Food for thought:

If you walk in to a Bass Pro, Cabela's, or other outdoor store, and walk over to the bows, you'll most likely see a sign "NO DRY FIRING". Dry firing a bow is pulling back the string and releasing without an arrow on the bow. Dry firing puts too much stress on the limbs of the bow and often damages the bow, hence the warnings about no dry firing. When a bow is fired normally, with an arrow nocked, the arrow absorbs that excess stress, preventing damage to the limbs.

You can probably see where I'm going with this. Liken the bow to an arm, the arrow to a football or weighted ball, and dry firing to throwing with the 5 oz. ball as opposed to a "loaded" arm with a heavier object, and make your own deductions.

Not exactly scientific and data driven, so take it with a grain of salt.

I'm a personal believer in long toss and don't really push for weighted ball programs, but I don't have a problem with weighted baseball programs. FWIW, as a teenager I cut a slit in a tennis ball, stuffed a bunch of pennies in it, and played catch with it to get stronger.

Rob T posted:
Overthehill posted:

Both of my sons are qb's.  They both increased their velocity between their jr and sr years by throwing the football so much during the late summer 7 on 7 and in the fall every day during practice.  I am a firm believer in the football.  

This can't possibly be true, because throwing objects heavier than a baseball causes your arm to get injured.

The epidemic of ucl injuries among NFL starting quarterbacks is all the evidence you need.

Completely different mechanics throwing a football. Also, note how all the college & NFL QB's throw heavy footballs & reach back & long toss footballs with elevated front shoulder to see how far they can throw the football to increase their arm strength............Um, they do none of this because it is junk science & develops mechanics apart from their goals. Perfectly fine for pitchers though......

Steve A. posted:
Rob T posted:
Overthehill posted:

Completely different mechanics throwing a football. Also, note how all the college & NFL QB's throw heavy footballs & reach back & long toss footballs with elevated front shoulder to see how far they can throw the football to increase their arm strength............Um, they do none of this because it is junk science & develops mechanics apart from their goals. Perfectly fine for pitchers though......

So, basically you can throw a heavy object as long as you do it with the proper mechanics?

Now if somebody would just figure out how to incorporate both of those things I'm thinking they could create a program that would increase velocity and reduce injuries.

- But that's just those voices in my head doing that crazy talk thing again.

Rob T posted:
Steve A. posted:
Rob T posted:
Overthehill posted:

So, basically you can throw a heavy object as long as you do it with the proper mechanics?

Now if somebody would just figure out how to incorporate both of those things I'm thinking they could create a program that would increase velocity and reduce injuries.

- But that's just those voices in my head doing that crazy talk thing again.

If you threw a football with the same delivery, arm action and intensity as a pitcher your arm would last about 2 starts before you blew it out. The point is: It (the football) is a different object, with a different, less stressful, less max effort, less load delivery. Additionally,  it is a different shape & yes, it weighs more.

In addition: Happy for your boys & the success & increase! They are still not yet fully mature males & please revert back to my Captain Crunch comments. They apply here. Give me a roster of fully mature, active adult pitchers. Do nothing different except add football throwing & I submit you will see no uptick in velo.  In a growing, maturing male, virtually any proper additional physical activity will produce a spike. Just common sense.

The difference for me on the overload theory is that we are talking about the muscle groups of the arm (vs. core or legs). Clearly, max effort, overhand throwing of a 5 oz object, repeatedly, has a direct correlation to injury. This can not be disputed. So the theory is that instead of the prior actions with a 5 oz. implement, we sub a 12 oz (or pick a #) implement & we have a formula for strength & injury prevention is about as off the chart as it gets & frankly an insult to common sense. Does this mean that everyone who engages in it will blow their arm out? no. Does this mean that possible gains are not available? no. Does this activity pose a huge risk, especially if not expertly administered?. yes. Is there a way to expertly administer a program like this given the differing bio makeup, ages & relative strength of the new "prospect?" No, heck, we cant even limit or predict injury with the 5 oz ball!  

Now, under load with a 3-4 oz implement for the arm makes some sense at face value but I admit I have not looked at it deep enough to have an opinion.

Steve A. have you done enough research to realize that the underweight object actually poses more of an injury risk than the overweight object? Also, important distinction is plyocare work vs. all-out weighted ball velocity throwing. The prior should preceed the latter to improve mechanics, strength, flexibility and reduce risk of injury. And there are many MLB guys using both plyocare and weighted balls even if their organization doesn't officially have it as part of their program. The reason why many have been slow adopters is because they don't want to be blamed and fired if a guy does get injured. If a pitcher(s) gets injured using a program like Driveline the Pitching Coach takes the fall, not the pitcher. Meanwhile many MLB guys are doing it on their own and seeing benefits. I agree there is much still to be learned about the subject, but to dismiss it out of hand as inherently dangerous is counterproductive to that learning and growth. We used to think the world was flat too.

2019&21 Dad posted:

Steve A. have you done enough research to realize that the underweight object actually poses more of an injury risk than the overweight object?

Is it just me or is there a segment of posters here who are unable to absorb the English language before offering a reply.

Please read my last sentence above. " I have not looked at it deep enough to have an opinion." Does this confuse you? Is it unclear in any way? 

Steve A. posted:

If you threw a football with the same delivery, arm action and intensity as a pitcher your arm would last about 2 starts before you blew it out. The point is: It (the football) is a different object, with a different, less stressful, less max effort, less load delivery. Additionally,  it is a different shape & yes, it weighs more.

So, you're saying you can throw the heavy object - just not the way a baseball is traditionally pitched?

Perhaps by throwing the heavy object, the body learns how to perform the throwing motion in a safer manner, and becomes conditioned to do so.

- of course the pitchers could just keep doing the same thing the same way they have always done it.

By the way, the Earth is flat.  I've seen the pictures.

Rob T posted:

So, you're saying you can throw the heavy object - just not the way a baseball is traditionally pitched?

Yes, that's exactly what I am saying! Javelin, shot put, football, temper tantrum etc. etc.

BTW: I want to congratulate myself for a new first: I have now officially been criticized for having "no opinion." Now that I think on it, this may not be a first. "No Oinion Criticism" may have come up in a discussion about curtain colors with Mrs. Steve A.....

Steve A. posted:
2019&21 Dad posted:

Steve A. have you done enough research to realize that the underweight object actually poses more of an injury risk than the overweight object?

Is it just me or is there a segment of posters here who are unable to absorb the English language before offering a reply.

Please read my last sentence above. " I have not looked at it deep enough to have an opinion." Does this confuse you? Is it unclear in any way? 

Absorb this from my post then...

"I agree there is much still to be learned about the subject, but to dismiss it out of hand as inherently dangerous is counterproductive to that learning and growth." My point is more to your overall dismissal of the practice as "junk science" without really having done the research, which you admit you haven't done. 

Steve A. posted:
Rob T posted:

Yes, that's exactly what I am saying! Javelin, shot put, football, temper tantrum etc. etc.

BTW: I want to congratulate myself for a new first: I have now officially been criticized for having "no opinion." Now that I think on it, this may not be a first. "No Oinion Criticism" may have come up in a discussion about curtain colors with Mrs. Steve A.....

The point is you HAVE expressed an opinion without enough knowledge or facts to back it up. That is the problem that limits exploration, learning, and progress. I'm not an expert either, but I have an open mind. 

2019&21 Dad posted:
Steve A. posted:
Rob T posted:

The point is you HAVE expressed an opinion without enough knowledge or facts to back it up. That is the problem that limits exploration, learning, and progress. I'm not an expert either, but I have an open mind. 

You have no idea of the level of research & study I have done on the topic (heavy baseballs, not light!). I don't think any would appreciate my attempt to write a novel on it here. I have laid out sound, well thought out arguments against the use of heavy baseballs. I have also admitted their possible benefit balanced vs the obvious potential dangers. If you took the time to actually read what I have written, you would see for yourself.

I am personally against their use. This does not mean I have it all figured out or am a super guru like some here proclaim. But I do have common sense & first hand experience with several severe injuries I feel strongly are associated with their improper use. The fact of the matter is that "The vast majority of MLB teams have said no." This is a FACT & should give anyone considering their use, particularly with youth players, pause. 

My advice is to stay away but if you decide to use them, proceed with extreme caution. I suppose if this places me in the "Flat Earth" group then so be it.

Steve A. posted:
2019&21 Dad posted:
Steve A. posted:
Rob T posted:

You have no idea of the level of research & study I have done on the topic (heavy baseballs, not light!). I don't think any would appreciate my attempt to write a novel on it here. I have laid out sound, well thought out arguments against the use of heavy baseballs. I have also admitted their possible benefit balanced vs the obvious potential dangers. If you took the time to actually read what I have written, you would see for yourself.

I am personally against their use. This does not mean I have it all figured out or am a super guru like some here proclaim. But I do have common sense & first hand experience with several severe injuries I feel strongly are associated with their improper use. The fact of the matter is that "The vast majority of MLB teams have said no." This is a FACT & should give anyone considering their use, particularly with youth players, pause. 

My advice is to stay away but if you decide to use them, proceed with extreme caution. I suppose if this places me in the "Flat Earth" group then so be it.

I have read enough of what you have written. Good day.

Jeez, I leave for 5 minutes and you guys get all snippy.

I think what I said here is being overlooked:

Perhaps by throwing the heavy object, the body learns how to perform the throwing motion in a safer manner, and becomes conditioned to do so.

Rather than using weighted balls to do no more than "strengthen", they should be used as a tool to train the body to use different mechanics.  Going all the way back to Marshall, weighted balls have been used not just to make the arm stronger - but to reinforce mechanical patterns.

Rather than just looking at football or javelin as being different than baseball and therefore having no relevance - perhaps we should be trying to learn what it is about those motions that allows for a heavier object to be thrown with far less incidence of injury.

I agree that many pitching coaches are Advertising with velocity gains of teenage Players who would have gained velocity throwing a coconut. for a lowly trained or Young Person almost any Training will provide gains and kyle will be the first to admit that.

once you reach a certain Level genetics start to Play a huge role.

however even at the highest Level there can be gains. kyle Trains many pro pitchers and a lot of them have gained even if it is only 2-3 mph. also even at the mlb Level until a couple years not a lot of science was used, although that is rapidly changing, many things just were accepted as true.

but I agree there are many Money grabbing programs out there, you often read something like gain 12 mph in 6 weeks or so and of course that is BS.

BTW what is interesting that with the modern Training we have the top velocities in MLB haven't really increased. chapman is a bit of an outlier often hitting over 103 but other than him the top velos are around 100 just like they were in the Prior decades. Nolan ryan threw just as hard as syndergaard or Randy Johnson.

what did Change is the average velocity. there are much less pitchers throwing 88 nowadays and average Velo is really up. the Training does help but there seems to be a border that can't be shifted.

Goblue33 posted:

Fun movie if you haven't seen it.  Seems to support that top end hasn't changed but average velocity probably has 

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd...stball+movie+trailer 

I am told by a very reliable source (Former D1 20 year Coach) that what has changed is the gun used to measure velo. "Back in the day," 80's-90's, you had the Jugs & the Ray. The difference between the 2 was that typically, the Jugs would read the velo at a closer proximity to release while the Ray was roughly velo at the plate. The swing was typically 3-4 mph with the Jugs having the higher reading. Now it seems to be the Stalker which I understand tags velo at release & has a higher reading than the Jugs.

This Coach told me he has kept all of the guns they used going back to the 80's & the readings today with the Stalker are definitely "inflated" compared to the prior tools used to get readings.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.